Fish Id please

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
My wife's sister just dropped these off and I don't know what they are.. They took down their tank and didn't know what to do with em so we took em in..

The silver w/ black stripes

Jun 21, 2008
The second one is a black skirt tetra. jingles - I figured this was a type-o, but if the OP has no idea what he's looking for I thought it would help if he had the actual name. Just clarifying.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
yea it was a typo thank you for correcting me. I was just going to say Serpae's can be fin nippers so I'd be careful with the black shirt. Although I doubt it will be a problem just throwing it out there. The fewer the number of Serpae's you have the more aggressive they'll be (at least my were).

Jun 21, 2008
No problem. You clearly knew what you were talking about, just trying to help out the OP. I could imagine an internet search and not being able to find anything about "black shirt tetras" haha. Also, as an interesting and possibly helpful side note. When I had black skirts they would faint when being netted. As in, when I went to net them they would go still, drop to the bottom, and then in a few seconds revive. It scared the crap out of me the first time, so it might be good to know before dealing with them. They are cool to watch. A nice shoaling fish.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
The 2 Black skirts seem to do nothing but pick on each other all day lol.. First 1 will chase the other around then it will stop and be chased by the other.. They were in the same size tank as the tank I have now so I don't know if they are playing or what..

Jun 21, 2008
They could be playing. They also might need a bigger shoal to establish some sort of order. I'm not sure on that part though. I know they're shoaling, but I'm not sure how necessary it is for that particular fish. I don't remember if mine chased each other or not.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You will need a large school of black skirt tetras, assuming you have a big enough tank. I've never been able to have fewer than eight successfully; fewer and they pick on each other constantly. A larger school spreads the aggression around. And even with eight in my tank they tended to look like a ragged-tailed group of hoodlums from all the nipping. Twelve worked better. Darn black skirts; I got tired of them.