Fish-in-Cycle

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I've done some reading about this and with water changes and what not but I want some of your guys help with it since you all seem to know what u're doing.

I purchased my 21 gal tank on thursday night and got it filled and treated that night and planted 4 live plants in it (dont know the name but i can post some photos if u guys need to know what they are)...

got 6 platies (on the advice of other forum members that was confirmed by the employee at my LFS) and they are in the tank today (saturday).

When do should i start doing water changes?
Do the fish stay in the tank for the change?
any other advice?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Nice, pythons are so helpful...you made a good move with that :D

I didn't read the article that Lotus posted, but I'm sure if she says its good then I'll stand by that :) I just wanted to say my take on fish-in cycles is like she said, monitor the chemical levels...at first mostly ammonia every day or so until you start seeing some and then whenever that ammonia gets up above a safe point then you should do a water change. Then be sure to keep an eye on the nitrite level after you start seeing ammonia. I wouldn't worry too much about nitrate because with all of the extra water changes you'll be taking the nitrate out. Plus the plants will hopefully be helping you out too. You can try to identify the plants either with the pictures on the profiles or maybe taking pictures and posting them for people to ID, if you know what they are it'll be easier to make sure you're doing everything you can to make them as healthy as possible :)

I'd probably do about a 50% change when you do a change...that way you have enough water left in the tank so that your fish aren't totally freakin out but you're taking a sizeable amount out and putting fresh in. Always be careful about the water that's going back into the tank, make sure its dechlorinated and as close of a temperature match as possible.

Oh and don't forget to turn your filter and heater off when you do changes ;) Its a good habit to get into.

Sounds like you're doing an awesome job...more newbies should pay attention to your example with all the research and stuff!!

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
After a few weeks you will be doing 50% water changes nearly every day it seems once those ammonia levels start to rise. I've done it on a 29g but now prefer to do the fishless cycle. since it's a LOT less work.

Do you know anyone with a tank? Borrowing a used filter would help. Anything to jump start the bacteria process will cut down the cycling time.