Fish just sink to the bottom and die...HELP!

SKiboyOO7

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
Here is what i have:
42 gal. Hex Tank
Canister filter for a 75 gal tank
Lace Rock and fake coral with live sand

The tank has been running now for three weeks, I went to put three fish into the tank to get the cycling going. I took my time adding so the acclimation process was done properly. When the fish hit the water they sank to the bottom still breathing but it was like they were stuck at the bottom, one fish went belly up still breathing after about 3 mins they all died. What is going on with my tank? I did a water test and everything is right on....HELP!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
My water wasn't ready 3 weeks after. Got ammonia and nitrite swings. Both are poisonous. Took maybe 6 weeks on my 55 gallons. Did you had hardy fishes ? What were they. I had damsels, hardy and all..but they got sick 'cause my cycle wasn't finished. Like jammerz said..what's right on ??

Better get more details..

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
your tank is not cycled yet...you should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite before you add fish...you also do not mention your salinity or temp...either way, your numbers are not "right on" and that is most likely what killed your fish

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
This early winter i had temp problems due to very very poor heater. A cheap 200W Hagen. Temp could have 8 celcius difference from night to day. BTW my apartment's walls are so sh!++y ..you don't have to go outside to know the temperature.
Not good for fish/corals. Everything is better with my Ebo-Jager 250 W. Precise and controls the temp perfectly.
Now for salinity. I accidently broke my floating hydrometer...before it broke, my salinity was supposed to be 1.024. With my new swing arm...i read 1.021. :eek:
Anyways...i'll buy very soon a refractometer..i think salinity is so much important that i or everyone should invest in something that gives an accurate result.

SKiboyOO7

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
Is there anything i can do to help the cycle process along, as far as the salinity goes my floating hydrometer is reading right in the middle and the temp is at 78.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
hey those aren't stupid questions at all. Better post some questions than mess up your system. I started in september...so i've been there not so long ago . Search my first posts and you know what i mean. More experienced aquarists like 1979Camaro, Wayne, Sam Reef, Aresgod and i forget others were there to help me during the painful cycling process.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i wouldn't buy cycle, its just a waste of money

your best decision long term would be to buy some live rock, live sand is good, but live rock is much much better in terms of biological filtration. i know its expensive, but even just ten or fifteen pounds would do wonders.

another thing is you need to add fish slowly when the time comes. one a month, maybe less, until things really get settled down

SKiboyOO7

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
I put about 7 pounds of live rock that I ordered online in my tank yesterday and there was an ammonia spike. This is normal and part of the process right? Everything else I read says this is normal so im just making sure. What is the next step also?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well yes. Ordering even cured rock online ( not that i did but ) will cause some die-off so naturally, ammonia will be there. Yep this is normal. I had damsels when i cycled ( not a smart move ) and removed partially some ammonia with Amrid and other ammonia removing stuff. The best thing to do is wait. The ammonia eventually will go away, nitrite will take place..When those too are undetectable, you'll smile.