Fish owners worst NIGHTMARE, came to me!

Jun 13, 2004
COLORADO
Visit site
last week i was going to swith my S/W tank from a 29 to a 60 Gallon tank, first i drained all the water into buckets, put the fish in one bucket, rocks in others, i put my 60 gallon in the same spot, put in my sand, live rock water and fish. but there was only 29 gallons of water in it, i filled it to about 50 gallons, then it happened, THE FISH OWNERS WORST NIGHMARE!!! the bottom of the tank BROKE. i was rushing to keep the water from hitting the carpet, get out my fish, and rocks all at the same time! i thought i saved alot of water, until i put it into my 29, it was only like 10 gallons!i had to put my fish into it with no filter and little waterover night, so i could clean up my floor. The next day the water was all filmy on the top i had to take out 5 gallons to remove the film, put it back in my room on the stand, refilled it and now a week later, NO CASUALTYS, im so glad, i just wanted to share my NIGHTMARE with you guys, ill be happy to answer any questions!!

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
The same thing happened to me but, my tank was already setup everything it just cracked one day and it was a 1999 model tank so im not sure whats up with it. I was so lucky I had a 45gal. tank lying around and just put everything into tubs and the put it right back into the new 45gal. I was also lucky that I didnt have any casualitys. Thanks for sharing good luck.

Aug 18, 2004
Sonora, CA
Visit site
how...?!?

our tank sprung a leak somewhere...(i think it was in the sump...or the plumbing tot he sump) anyways...the carpet around the tank (72 gal) on one side was sopping wet...so we drained the tank, and moved it out of its position to find that everything underneath the tank was all wet to...possibly as long as 2 days un-noticed!! first we tried soaking up as much as we could with towels, and then hairblowdryers...and then realizing the hairblowdryers didn't do much, i got my hoover steam-vac and started sucking up the water with that. i was wondering what you did to get your carpet dry...as ours still isn't completely dry. we didn't lose as much waster as you did...but it is still a concern. any help or suggestions would be appriciated!!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
how did you not notice? didnt the water level in the tank drop significantly? what did you use for your plumbing for your sump? PVC? flexible hosing? if there was no water on the tank itself you can bet it was in the plumbing

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
After having a filter break and water, water everywhere, I got one of those alarms what go near hot water heaters. You can get them at a Home Depot type store and they screech when water hits em. Just put it behind the tank stand and you WILL know if you have a problem. Just a suggestion to everyone....

Jun 13, 2004
COLORADO
Visit site
what i did to dry it up was a wetdry vaccum, for about an hour, but it was still wet so i put a thin layer of baking soda over all the wet stuff, about 24 hours you vaccum up the baking soda , and bam its dry.
ooh and the tank had no warranty on it so i cant get my money back, thats kinda gay

Jul 11, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Unless it was clearly stated, in writing, that this tank was sold with no warranty expressed or implied then you are covered under what is called the "implied warranty of merchantability". Basically this means that since the sellers buisness is selling fish tanks, and they sold it for the purpose of housing fish, that they warrant that it is suitable for that purpose. The implied warranty entitles you to not only the damages for the broken tank, but any damages that were incurred due to the failure. So if your carpet is ruined, the merchant is responsible for fixing it.