fish popultion OK?

Feb 5, 2008
N.Y.
Have a 29 gallon bow front tank with the following fish. Is this a good a mix/population. Is there room for 2 dalmatian molly?

4 mickey mouse plattys
3 cory cats
3 red eye tetras
1 plecko (not sure type....)
2 clown loaches
2 dojo (weather) loaches
1 odessa barb
2 dwarf gouramis

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well, to start, your clown loaches and possibly the pleco are going to get too big for a 29G, so I hope you have plans to either give them to someone to take care of, return them to the store, or get a new tank :). Your fishies will appreciate it a lot.

As per your question, I don't think you should add any fish. You are pretty stocked right now, and those fish I mentioned are going to grow quite large, so I would hold off on the mollies.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Like ishar I agree you should know that your Clown Loaches can grow up to 12" long (albeit slowly, about an inch a year) and your pleco will get between 6 to 13 inches depending on its type.

Rather then adding mollys, if you're going to add fish you may want to consider adding to the schooling fish you already have. Dojo loaches are happiest with 3 or more. Corys do best with 4 + and Barbs and Tetras both school in groups of 6 +.

While you don't have room for all those fishes to be schooling bringing one or two up to those numbers will make your tank a more lively and active place.