Fish smell??

Mar 25, 2005
iv just gotten two 55 gallon tanks, and the waters in them plastic plants, filters, heaters, gravel. ANd theres like this sorta musky fish smell comming from the tanks and i dont rember this smell from any of my other tanks can anyone give me a clue as to why this is happening and how to get rid of it??? thanx all replys are appreciated!

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
In any aquatic envoirnment, there will be a bacterial smell. I don't think I'd call it "fishy," but maybe a smell you might notice if you're at a lake. The smell to me is kind of pleasing, but it shouldn't be overly strong. You should only smell it if your right at the tank sniffing the water, but it shouldn't fill the room.

Keeping up with routine water changes and other tank maintenance should keep the tank odor free.

i had a pretty bad smell when i used my old gravel for my 40g then i just changed the substrate to schultz aquatic soil and didn't have any of that smell since. When i say bad smell i mean like you could smell it if you put your head over the tank but now adays it just smells like what a hot powercompact bulb in a hood would smell like :)

Mar 25, 2005
Naomi

Thanx for ur reply, i actully am useing a old filter, i guess ill have to get a new one now, but yea its not actully a fish smell but sorta like a musk smell, im sry i cant describe it to u guys. But yea i think its probly from my filter because everything else is new.

P.s. thank you all for your replys!

Last edited:

Exevious

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2003
North Dallas, Texas
Visit site
Thats the smell of good used stuff....

Its good to seed a new tank with that... the smell will go away in about 3 days as the bacteria colonies become established.

When the smell comes back, its time to do a water changes.

Dont be afraid of old stuff... no need to toss it. That old stuff will reduce your cycle tremendously on a new tank set-up.

The best way to set-up a new tank is the get a good used nasty filter, from a healthy environment.... once all the water has passed across it, you are cycled. takes only a few hours.

Naomi

Small Fish
Apr 26, 2005
the big D (dallas, tx)
i dunno...im always weary of something tahts been sitting around. i mean for instance my gravel was sitting in my garage for lord knows how many years. theres a diff between stealing some decor or filter from an established tank and using nasty old stuff. but its just my humble opinion, im no expert

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If bacteria has gone anaerobic it will smell like rotten eggs. You'll get this if you leave wet gravel in a bag or a filter pad sealed in a bag too long, or leave a canister filter unplugged for a few days without cleaning it out. That'll really stink and make you want to gag. :)

is that anaerobic stuff like the stuff in seachem stability? man i just drank like 2 cups of water and reading this thread makes me wanna throw it all up lol

hey naomi i'm just curious but where are you in texas? i'm in san antonio :D latley theres been lots of people from texas here

edit: just realized i'm over 2,000 posts today :D guess i've been over for a few days already, woot :D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
No Balloon Fish, Seachem Stability has bacteria in spore form, which is a dormant state (kind of like hibernation). Anaerobic bacteria are strains that live without oxygen, the type most commonly fount in aquariums feed on nitrates and produce sulfur dioxide gas (rotten egg smell). In a tank that has filters turned on, you won't usually come across anaerobic bacteria as there is oxygen in the water.

Mar 25, 2005
I thank you all for your replys!! Yeah its been a few days now and the smell has gone away i just ran some fans for a while why i waited for the smell to go away. Again i thank you guys for replying I can always count on MFTers :D