Fish sucked into filter

Ninja

New Fish
Aug 10, 2007
I have a 35G tank that conatained 2 Blue Gouramis. I recently added in 6 cardinal tetras. The last two days I have found a tetra inside the filter. I'm not sure if they are just getting sucked in by accident or if the gouramis are trying killing them. One of the gouramis appears to be agressive, always chasing the other one around so maybe it's him. I think the problem might be I have two male (i think) gouramis together? Any advice?

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
Do you have the little strainer on the bottom of the filter (the one that should come with the filter?)? Might seem like an obvious question, but if it's not there, it'll be easy for a fish as small as a tetra to get sucked up. ;)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hmm, yeah, how are the fish fitting up the filter intake tube? It should have a covering over it that doesn't allow fish to fit into it? If your filter is too strong, you can usually adjust the water flow with something inside the filter, if you can tell us what kind you have, I'm sure someone will know how to do it.

On the gourami problem, yeah, you probably have two males. Generally, only one gourami per tank is recommended, especially if one is beating up on the other one. You can call your local fish stores in the area, they will probably give you money or store credit for him.