Fish sucking filters...?And Canibal plecostomus?!?

Bridish05

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Dekalb
www.facebook.com
Ok I have 2 questions based on things my friends told me earlier when I announced that I had gotten an aquarium:

Question one: I have a ten gallon whisper filter in my 10 gallon aquarium and some friends told me if I have it in there my fish will get sucked up! I had thought about future fry getting sucked up but not my adult fish...it's not the kind of filter with a tube...it has slats in the side...

Question 2: My friend told me not to keep my algae eaters in with my gups because she had an pleco that badgered her fish until they died then ate them....

I don't particularly want my gups to get sucked up and/or eaten by canibal plecos...can you please help?

Thanks! :)

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
I've read that some pleco's will suck on the slime coat of fish that are already deceased. Also, I had a pleco with a nasty attitude and he kept fighting with my one dominant fish, so I had to adopt him out. :) (I think the pleco couldn't understand why the cichlid kept picking on him but it was because they both wanted this same prime spot of realty in my tank and just didn't "speak the same language".)

Bridish05

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Dekalb
www.facebook.com
Yes it's only a couple of days old...i'm very new to this (as could be assumed :p) But yeah...I tried to set it up as best as possible
I have 3 female and 2 male gups, 2 plecos, a 10 gal. filter, a heater, some live plant bulbs, some fake plants for while the live ones are growing....a bubbly tube air pump thing...and some marbles...all in a 10 gallon tank...

I got the plecos from wal mart...I dunno if they take fish back....

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Actually Yahoo I find guppies to be quit hardy. Well the common LFS ones anyhow. At one time I even used them to cycle betta tanks.

The thing is, it's a hit or miss if they will be ok. It all depends on the stock your gups come from. The more they are inbred the weaker they are.

As for your plecos..getting them from wally world I can only assume they are commons. PlanetCatfish :: Cat-eLog :: Loricariidae

In that link the size they list is false, they really get up to 24 inches in the wild, and around 18 inches is pretty normal in captivity.