Fish Tank Capacity

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
Heloo eveyone,

I was wondering how many fish a 50 gal will hold.
I read something like 1 gallon/inch of fish.

This makes me believe I have to many fish in my aquarium.

I currently have:

10 Neons
8 Danios
1 Electric yellow cichild - 2"
2 Striped raphaels - 3.5" ea
1 Pleco
1 Gold algae eater

What do yous think?

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Heloo eveyone,

I currently have:

10 Neons
8 Danios
1 Pleco
1 Gold algae eater

What do yous think?
Use this tool, its great - http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Heloo eveyone,

I currently have:

10 Neons
8 Danios
1 Pleco
1 Gold algae eater

What do yous think?
Just remember the 1in per gallon rule is based on adult sizes, I know about the program and while it is useful it is not a substitute for experience. The Algea eater will become aggressive when it gets larger, the Rapheals should grow to about 6 to 8in in length and once they reach that size they may find a neon a tempting snack in the middle of the night. The pleco depending on species will get large and they can become very aggresive as well. My large pleco commonly attacks my Oscar for no appearant reason, even swimming from the other side of the 90G tank to attack. Personally I think your stocking is fine in numbers but the choices in fish were not well thought out.

You have to algea eating fish that you will have to supplement with algea wafers, your striped raphaels are nocturnal and will have to compete with the algea eater and pleco for wafers or any sinking food that hits the bottom. From what I have read electric yellow cichlids are also grazers of algea so that gives you atleast three fish that may compete for algea in your tank.

A few references:
Electric Yellow Cichlid
View topic - Looking for algae eater• Forum • PlanetCatfish
How to keep Chinese algae eaters, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, with pictures

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
Yes, I am aware that I have some compatiblity issues, but this is how I received the tank. I bought it from someone and it came with all the fish. The only fish I added was 5 neons. They were much smaller then the ones in the tank. And like you said, I think 2 of them got eaten by my Raphaels. oops

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Just remember the 1in per gallon rule is based on adult sizes, I know about the program and while it is useful it is not a substitute for experience. The Algea eater will become aggressive when it gets larger......]
Correct, experience is best.
Your gold algae eater is simply a colour variation of the CAE (chinese algae eater), these fish are useful when small but a REAL handful once they grow.
Heres a few interesting facts about your little friend

- They get extremely aggressive and territorial as they grow.
- They don't eat algae when they're kept in coldwater.
- They won't tolerate their own kind when they are older.
- They grow up to 12" regardless of the size of aquarium.
- They will attack slower moving fish and attach themselves to them and can even kill by basically sucking a hole in them.
But the kicker is...!
- They eat algae less and less as they grow and eventually stop altogether turning, simply, into an aggressive, territorial bottom feeder!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Correct, experience is best.
Your gold algae eater is simply a colour variation of the CAE (chinese algae eater), these fish are useful when small but a REAL handful once they grow.
Heres a few interesting facts about your little friend

- They get extremely aggressive and territorial as they grow.
- They don't eat algae when they're kept in coldwater.
- They won't tolerate their own kind when they are older.
- They grow up to 12" regardless of the size of aquarium.
- They will attack slower moving fish and attach themselves to them and can even kill by basically sucking a hole in them.
But the kicker is...!
- They eat algae less and less as they grow and eventually stop altogether turning, simply, into an aggressive, territorial bottom feeder!
And all those reasons add up to why I got rid of my two CAEs within two weeks of getting them and went to otos! :D