Fish Tank Community

Aug 30, 2009
My current Tank setup:
-10 Gallon kit tank (lights, heater, filter...)
-Plastic plants, plastic decorations, gravel

Current Fish
-2 Neon Tetras
-2 Glowlight Tetras
-1 (Chinese?) Algae Eater

My question(s):

This setup has been working well for awhile now and now I want to add some new fish. Since its only a 10 gallon tank I'm not sure if this is possible. Based on the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule I assume I can get 3-4 more fish, especially since the ones I do have are small.

I want to add a weather loach and 2 angelfish. I was just looking online and it says those fish need at least 20 gallon tanks =(. Also my friend said he had angelfish and neon tetras together and the tetras killed the angelfish =O

If these fish are not compatible, what fish should I look into getting?

Lastly, ghost shrimp, do they add to the 1 inch per gallon rule, and what would be the limit of them per tank?

Thanks!*PEACE!*

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Angels grow to 6 inches in length, and have a tendency to eat tetras. Weather loaches grow longer, and prefer cooler tanks. The community wouldn't work.

You seem to have also misunderstood the "one inch of fish per gallon". This means full grown fish, and chinese algae eaters grow to nearly 5 inches and are far too big and (long term, anyway) aggressive to be housed in a 10 gallon.

I'd personally trade the algae eater in for some more neons and glowlights, which like to be in shoals. Luckily they'll shoal together (from my experience anyway) so you could buy two more of one or one of each and they should be fine. This adds to 6 inches, so I'd round up with 2 or 3 cory cats to complete your tank.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
My current Tank setup:
-10 Gallon kit tank (lights, heater, filter...)
-Plastic plants, plastic decorations, gravel

Current Fish
-2 Neon Tetras
-2 Glowlight Tetras
-1 (Chinese?) Algae Eater

My question(s):

This setup has been working well for awhile now and now I want to add some new fish. Since its only a 10 gallon tank I'm not sure if this is possible. Based on the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule I assume I can get 3-4 more fish, especially since the ones I do have are small.

I want to add a weather loach and 2 angelfish. I was just looking online and it says those fish need at least 20 gallon tanks =(. Also my friend said he had angelfish and neon tetras together and the tetras killed the angelfish =O

If these fish are not compatible, what fish should I look into getting?

Lastly, ghost shrimp, do they add to the 1 inch per gallon rule, and what would be the limit of them per tank?

Thanks!*PEACE!*

you should probably get rid of that chinese algae eater and add more tetras.

Aug 30, 2009
Well I haven't added the new fish yet, recently had one of the Glow-light tetras end up dead. =( so I did a water change.

As to the Chines Algae Eater, I was guessing as to what it was... I bought it from Walmart I think, and the tank only said "Algae Eater". And this tank has been set up with just the 5 fish for over 6 months, closer to a year and he hasn't got aggressive.

Feb 27, 2009
As to the Chines Algae Eater, I was guessing as to what it was... I bought it from Walmart I think, and the tank only said "Algae Eater".
Can you post a picture of the algae eater? Easy to ID them with the photo, that way you'd know for sure what it is and what it may potentially grow to and behave like in the future.

D'Cecilia

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2009
IMHO.
You should get rid of the chinese algae eater (trade/sell)
and focus on one small school of tetras.
schools should be of at least 5, and since your tank
is small that should work for you.
Maybe get some bottom dwellers that stay small,
the chinese A. E. grow a couple incehs too big for that
tank..

and the gallon per inch rule applies to the size of the fish
when it is an adult.
So the angel is out of the picture. although in my first-ish tank
i had 6 tetras, 2 ottos, 1 angel, and they were all fine.

the angel was maybe an inch though.

so just try andthink of the fish, and how big they get.
:D

cheers

Aug 30, 2009
uh, yeah, might be good of me to post a picture of the algae eater. Over the first month I had him as he got bigger he changed color. At first I thought this was bad so I did a partial water change and tested the water but no change. Since then there has been no change, hes stayed this new color, and no problems. And like I said this tank has been like this for 6-12 months. So maybe you can tell me why his color changed and what he is. haha

Anyway, I'll post it soon. *thumbsups

D'Cecilia

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2009
It might be an otto, but we would have to see a picture to be
sure.
They look kinda similar, except that ottos dont grow more than
2 inches and i think chinese algae eaterh grow up to 5 or more.

Aug 30, 2009
Ok, well I was just trying to get a picture of the algae eater but he's camera shy and is hiding in the volcano*twirlysmi

So I went to my good friend google and looked up Otto's and Chinese Algae Eater. And now im pretty sure is the Chinese Algae Eater...my guy started off small and gray with black spots and now is like albino...which are just like the pictures that came up.

Before

After

These are images found online, not actual images of my fish.

Aug 30, 2009
Anyhow...I added some fish, I ended up not getting anything new (species wise). That way my current fish can school better. Now I have:

4 neon tetras
4 glow-light tetras
1 Chinese Algae Eater

And I'll keep a watch on the algae eater, Ive had him many months with no problems so I think I'm good for now. But in any case I dont know what I would do with him if he did act up.

*celebrate