Fish Tank LIghts

Mar 28, 2005
I just set up my first 10 gallon tank. I have not put any fish in the tank yet. But I just bought a new full aquarium hood. My problem is when I turn it on. The light makes a loud buzzing noise. Im not sure why it is doing this. But it is driving me insane. It is extremely loud. I asked a friend of mine who has been doing this for years and was told that the light could be malfunctioning and I might have to take it back or that it could just be that since the bulb is brand new that it needs to "warm up". If this is the case how long do I have to keep it on so it can do so? Is this normal for the light to be buzzing this way? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I am on a budget and I hope I dont have to buy a new bulb but I will if I have to because I want the fish to have a good home. Thanks! :) [/SIZE]

foty89

Medium Fish
Mar 1, 2005
Binghamton, New York
I would take it back too. And in all reality, if you have no fish in the tank, or no real plants, there is no reason to have the light on right now. And in all actuality, most fish don't care about light anyway. It is more for us to view them. This is not the case if you have live plants, in which case you need a good deal of light.

Mar 28, 2005
No more buzzing!!!

Thanks for all your help! I did return it and the guy at the fish store switched it for a brand new one. I guess it was just a defective light and I was flipping out for nothing. I had been thinking i broke it or something. LOL