fish tank over the corner fireplace

asaood

New Fish
Apr 5, 2011
hi
i am new in this website. i am finishing my basement. in the corner i put my fireplace. space above that corner is empty. i am thinking to build a fish tank there. please advise me. top of the fireplace is closed by plywood. i would make an opening above 8 inches from the fireplace plywood roof.

thanks.

Meleemaker

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2010
Pierre SD
How hot would it be above the fireplace in winter/summer...how easy would it be to do weekly waterchanges, cleaning, feeding, ect ect

If the temperature fluctuates a lot, its a big no no. Fish donit do well with changing temperatures, especially constant and dramatic ones. I would advise against it, but maye a picture of where the fireplace is, and where you want to put the tank would be even more helpful..

asaood

New Fish
Apr 5, 2011
the temperature not changing much, because fish tank about 2 feet above the fire place look at the attached picture. the opening above is the space for fish tank. this 4x4x6 feet triangle corner and about 4 feet high. i will make a small cabinet on the side of the tank holding equipment. i will put water and drain line line with valves in the equipment cabinet to change the water without removing the tank. i will try to send you the drawing later. all my water supply and drain are nearby in the wall.

Attachments

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Personally I wouldn't as heat is always a problem with the high lighting requirements of reef tanks. If this isn't a reef tank and will only have fish and live rock then it may be possible provided you don't have any heat issues. Again I would personally not do it as the height makes it hard to do any type of maintenance on the tank itself unless you are a very tall person with very long arms. The window would also be a source of heat if sunlight comes in through that window very much and also promote algae which may present more maintenance.

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
I agree that this is not a good idea. But if you are going ahead, have you checked if there are any building code restrictions on what you can do (where is the exhaust ductwork going)?