fish tank question

Dandre

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2010
louisiana
I want to buy a 20 gallon fish tank what kind of filter should I get can I have a nymphaea bulb in can a nymphaea take over a 20 gallon tank it how long will it take to cycle what fish can I use to cycle with I was thinking abouabout a betta what other fishes can I have to cycle with when my tank is cycled I would like to have 3 ghost shrimp 3 to 5 catfish 2 snails and 5 guppies

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
For a 20 gallon tank (are you looking into a 20 gallon high or a 20 gallon long?), I would use maybe an AquaClear 50. That would give you plenty of filtration for whatever you want to put in there.

As far as how long it'll take to cycle, that depends. Usually it takes about 3-4 weeks for a tank to completely cycle, but sometimes it can take longer.

I would DEFINITELY not recommend a fish-in cycle! Especially not with a betta! Bettas are actually very sensitive and you'd lose the betta LONG before you cycle was complete. Read up on fishless cycling. It's easier and it'll cost you less because you won't end up losing fish.

What kind of catfish would you be interested in? If you want cories, I'd say got for it. They're absolutely adorable. I don't know if I'd do two snails since you'd more than likely end up with many many baby snails to deal with. With what you have listed, you'd have plenty of room in your tank (that is, if you want cories as your catfish...some of your other catfish, like upside down cats, would get too big to be comfortable in a 20gal tank).

aglowe00

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2010
they nymphea bulbs that you get in the package at walmart or whatever?? I bought some as a newbie fish owner and they are pond plants not meant to be in a small tank. The plant MAY work if you keep it trimmed down to a manageable size but that will take alot of work as they grow very very rapidly. My plant started in my tank and then I moved it outside to my pond where it is flourishing. Good Luck!