fish tank setup

Dec 20, 2005
Richland, Pa
n00b here. Fairly new to the hobby. Getting a new 20 gal tank soon. Freshwater setup. Currently have a betta and a pleco. What other fish do you guys recommend and what plants, etc would you put in the tank. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance*BOUNCINGS

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
If you currently have 2 fish already, then I'd let them settle in first, allowingplenty of time for the bacteria level to build up and consume the waste. Add fish gradually, sticking with small cheap ones at first as you are likely to have a few fatalities early on as most people do.

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
I would probably skip the live plants for now if you are just getting into the hobby. Plants add another element to fish keeping and would wait til you are a little more fiimilar with your tank. But in the mean time you can keep plastic plants. I keep only plastic plants and they seem to be thriving in my low light conditions.

As for the fish you already have I would do what NoDeltaH2O said and let the bacteria in the tank get started. I would recommend several small schooling fish to add to the tank. You may want to watch out for fish with long fins because the betta may find it a threat and attack it.

Also you may want to post in the general freshwater forum instead of the lounge. Its just a small thing and a mod should be able to move this thread to the right section

Last edited: