fish tank under window

Dec 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
how bad is it if i put my fish tank under a window? i never have the blinds open and it will be about 2-3 inchs under the window. i was advised to have it furthist away as possible, but if my blinds are never open how bad could it get?

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
my recommendation is to get a few algae eating fish, and stay on top of your maitenence. as soon as you see algae, scrape it away. if left untreated, algae will take over. i have my tank under a window and *knock on wood,* i haven't had any algae outbreaks...perhaps the fact that it's a cold water tank helps. it's definitily better if it is not under a window, but if that's the only place you have, then just be sure to keep on top of any algae growth that comes about :D

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
Hey, you live in Alberta like me! I don't know where exactly you are, but it's -30 degrees where I am. So obviously our cold winters will have some affect with the temps around your window. I'd never put my aquarium beside any of my windows. Like lotus said...it could cause temp swings in the tank. Even if it doesn't it will be an unending battle for your heater to fight the chill from the window. So I'd avoid placing it there if at all possible.

How big is your aquarium? Remember...smaller tanks are more likely to be affected by drafts and temperature fluctuations.