Fish Tank won't cycle

awpong

Small Fish
Mar 24, 2010
Can someone please help me!

I've had a 10 gallon tank trying to cycle for about 8-9 weeks now, but the nitrates never increase. In the tank, I have a few neon tetra, a java fern, and an Anubis; I clean the tank with a gravel vacuum weekly along with 10-15% water changes. The tank also has an activated carbon filter. I've recently started using Ammo Lock and adding some aquarium salt because I'm worried about the high ammonia levels but no nitrate.

A few weeks ago the water got really cloudy (white/yellow), and I read that it was supposed to be do to a bacteria bloom, but still no nitrates (but way too much ammonia)! Can someone explain to me why I'm not getting any nitrates at all?

Feb 27, 2009
First you get ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.

Are you getting any nitrite yet?

The reading for ammonia may be the non-toxic type. Ammo-lock will alter ammonia to a non-toxic form but still make it available for the beneficial bacteria. It will show as ammonia on a test kit unless the test kit tests for both free ammonia and total ammonia (not a common test kit, and more expensive).

What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I once cycled a tank with fish in. I did daily 50% water changes. The ammonia never climbed over .5.

Water changes for a 10 gallon are easy. First, find out from your local water agency if they disinfect using free chlorine or chloramines. Big difference there. You may get someone who doesn't know the answer. Insist on talking to someone who does know. (I've worked at two water utilities)

Do 50% water changes daily. If your water contains free chlorine then let a bucket sit for 24 hours. It should dissipate by then and the temperature will be the same too. Still, it should be treated unless you have a high quality chlorine test kit, just to be safe.

If your water is chloraminated that means it has a 5:1 ratio of chlorine and ammonia. The ammonia will not dissipate. In fact, The choramines will stay in much longer as well. I suggest using PRIME to treat the water. A little bit goes a long, long way.

Once your tank is cycled you won't need activated carbon in your filter. Just do regular water changes and (proper) occasional filter maintenance. This system has worked well for me.