Fish Tank

May 16, 2006
I'm trying to get a fish tank and a light thing for up to 120 dollars but I want it to be over 20 gallons. Where should I get it?

I just bought a used complete 55 gallon setup (tank, hood, stand, filter, etc.) for $100 at a yard sale. Sometimes they don't have them outside and you have to ask if they have any for sale. Yard sales have good bargains. Be very careful and look for cracks. I made that mistake with a 29 gallon that my hubby bought me a while back and it's about to be turned into a hamster or hermit crab cage for the kids. It has a very small crack but it looks like just a few inches of water will make it spread so I'm not taking chances with it.

Good luck finding what you're looking for, but be patient and wait for the right one.

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
Steph_D said:
I just bought a used complete 55 gallon setup (tank, hood, stand, filter, etc.) for $100 at a yard sale. Sometimes they don't have them outside and you have to ask if they have any for sale. Yard sales have good bargains. Be very careful and look for cracks. I made that mistake with a 29 gallon that my hubby bought me a while back and it's about to be turned into a hamster or hermit crab cage for the kids. It has a very small crack but it looks like just a few inches of water will make it spread so I'm not taking chances with it.

Good luck finding what you're looking for, but be patient and wait for the right one.

Nice job, but you should have tried to lower the price. Haggle alittle, youll get more out of life lol. If it was listed at $100, I would have pulled out $70 and said thats all I have.*thumbsups

JAWS69 said:
Nice job, but you should have tried to lower the price. Haggle alittle, youll get more out of life lol. If it was listed at $100, I would have pulled out $70 and said thats all I have.*thumbsups
LOL, well, I was saving my money for a down payment on a car, so she let me write 4 checks, all post dated, so I couldn't complain (I'd went to school with her daughter, so she knew me). Besides, I'm not a haggler. If I can't afford the asking price, I just pass it by and wish it was cheaper:rolleyes:

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
noncentric said:
Is there a Craigslist site for your area? Try www.craigslist.org - in the "For Sale" section - then search on fish or aquarium.

Good luck!
Yep i agree, craiglist rocks, i've bought many of items off of people for craiglist in my area, tanks, a 30 gallon stand, accessories, and with most buys, the seller usually gave me other items along with what i went to purchase. i went to get the 30 gallon pine stand, and the girl gave me a 10 gallon tank, a dual light strip for a 30 gallon and a python draining system (though i had one) all for free with the stand.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
You guys are lucky. There aren't much garage sales around where I live. And I don't think fish keeping is that big hobby here. In anycase, I set up my 10 gallon with $112. Do you think this was too much? I bought everything new.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Haggling is for 3rd world countries* and car dealers. Yard sale prices are already steals, so don't feel bad about the price you paid. If you really want to save money on lighting, then try OverDriving your Normal Otput flourescents (called ODNO). It is the cehapest and arguably easiest way to get maximum light for minimum out of pocket expense. I have a link to a good ODNO thread in my signature below.

*Hey, seriously, when I was in Mexico I haggled for everything as prices weren't fixed there like they are here in the US. Dept. stores had fixed prices, but everything ont he street was negotiable.