Fish that won't eat guppies??

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
So I started my 30 gal. guppy tank and IMO I think it's boring. I was thinking of adding some sort of centerpiece fish, but I want to raise all the guppy babies to sell them back to the lfs. Can anyone think of a nice centerpiece fish that won't eat the guppy fry?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You could get some pretty pleco for the bottom, lots of different types, some are quite flashy. Some cory cats would be nice and colorful and probably wouldn't eat the fry. Lots of options. :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Since even the adult guppies will eat baby guppies, you could get stuff like tetras, cherry barbs, platies, rasboras, or the like. Or bottomfeeders, like cories or kuhli loaches.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Well, you could get small tetras...such as Von Rio Tetras. Bigger tetras such as pristella and whatnot would probably try to eat them, I know mine would. Cherry barbs might be alright, mine are pretty easy going. Platies would devour baby guppies, rasboras probably the same. I would definately go with a couple "herds" of corycats. Maybe a group of pandas and a group of emeralds? They would liven it up and probably wouldn't bother the baby guppies.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Maybe the smaller rainbowfish (threadfin, dwarf praecox, celebes)? I know they have a small throat, maybe they couldn't eat guppy fry (or at least not any more than mommy guppies can).

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If you really want to raise fry, but don't have a tank available solely for this purpose, then you're pretty much stuck with having to just leave things to chance and let nature take its course.

You'll end up with more fry losses, but the ones you do end up with will be healthier as a result.

The fry do much better when allowed to swim freely from the moment they're born anyway (i.e. as opposed to being raised in a breeding trap). They are forced to fend for themselves more...becoming stronger swimmers by having to evade hungry adults and by venturing out into the open to find food.

Back when I raised platies, the fry were raised in tanks containing adult fish. Some inevitably perished, but many of them survived on their own by hiding in dense plants. Some also developed the tactic of hanging around my clown pleco in order to keep away from the adult platies (who wouldn't go near the plec).

By the way, I checked out your tank in the rate my tank section...it looks great! In fact, the color-scheme is such that a school or two of tetras---I'm thinking lemon tetras and/or silver-tip tetras---would look great against the darker substrate!

Big Vine

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
OHMIGOSH I just glanced in the tank and there's like 2 little fry swimming around! YAY! They're so tiny! Should I do anything to help them survive? More plantings? Air bubbles? Cover the filter intake? There's only 2 and I wanna keep them! :D

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Congrats :D

If I were you I'd get some more plants (real or fake), that will increase the chance of them surviving.

My guppy gave birth about a week ago and she chased the fry around, but they hid in the plants. They have grown alot in a week and now she justs ignores them

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yes, more plants is definitely a good idea!
They really like to hang out in floating ones as well, so keep that in mind too.

Definitely cover up the end of the filter intake tube with some cut-up nylons/pantyhose. Just fasten it on using a rubber band.

I used this method in the past while raising platy fry (after learning the hard way), and it worked great!

Oh...and don't freak out if some fry do get sucked up into the filter. They usually do just fine. In fact, some of mine survived for at least a week in there! Just remember to check it periodically, and then just dump any trapped fry back into the tank.

Congratulations!

Big Vine

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
congrats!

i had guppy fry but my discus made a snack of them in the night. in my 10g though i have java moss and a heavily planted tank so a lot survived even with mollies and a couple female guppies in it.

lols....i put guppy fry into my convict tank awhile back, after the eggs had hatched and my female would pick them up in her mouth and spit them into her little nest under a rock. it amused me greatly. they survived and i moved them out eventually, but ya.