Fish to add?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I have 5 guppies, a betta, and an amano shrimp in my 20GH planted tank. I want to add another species of colourful fish into the mix, but wasn't sure which to add according to compatibility, won't eat plants, don't get big and are not aggressive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Some of my ideas:
- a small school of like 5 neon or cardinal tetras
- an emerald or dwarf gourami

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Definitely more Amano shrimp. You may also consider some of the micro rasboras such as celestial danios [galaxy rasboras], some of the smaller rainbows such as praecox rainbows or perhaps some dwarf cories or loaches such as sidthimunkis. Keep in mind, a bunch of one species is visually more pleasing.

You are fortunate your betta and gups get along, not everyone has that experience. :)

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
seleya,
I was about to say that about the betta and guppies getting along. If that was my betta in that tank those guppies would have been history in one minute, he just doesn't tolerate other fish in his tank:mad: .

ishar
I would probably not add a gourami to that tank, due to the fact I have always heard bettas don't mingle well with other fish belonging to the same labyrinth(spelling) family. I might try cardinals though!

Justin

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well I ended up getting 6 neon tetras today :D. Now, with the exception of any fry that may grow up, I have fully stocked my tank and I am happy with the Fauna in the tank :)