Fish Transportation

mcsully

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2006
I have an opprotunity in a week to pick up a 55 gallon fish tank from a friend of mine for free.

Here is my dilema:

My friend has a Discus he loves and doesn't want to see it die (either do I) and I need to find out the best way to keep this guy alive.
I'm picking up the tank and fish Saturday but instread of leaving back home to my house, I'll be stopping at my sisters house and staying overnight. So the fish will need to survive over night and a five hour ride.

How should I handle the situation? (any suggestions or ideas would be great!)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Have your friend fast it for at least 2 days before you pick it up. When you pick it up, have a 5 gallon bucket for just the fish -- fill it up no more than 1/2 full with tank water (it will slosh more than you think). If you want, put a cover on it, allowing air, or elastic band a piece of cloth over the top so the fish is secure (I've done this with good sized koi or comets, discus shouldn't be good jumpers) Put the bucket on the floor of the car someplace secure -- it wouldn't hurt to put it inside another waterproof thing in case of slosh-age. When you stop at your sister's for the night, be sure to bring him in -- put a bubbler in the bucket for overnight. Then bring him home the next day. Keep him warm throughout the trip. Be sure to have some dechlorinator just in case it's needed but don't feed the fish or change the water unless absolutely neccessary. He should be fine. :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can use a 20g rubbermaid tub to this effect too, and it would be big enough for you to stick a heater and a bubbler or filter in there. He should be fine overnight with a heater and something for water movement (like a bubbler). If you have a submersable heater, you can even have a 20g tub only half filled with water. Also, keep the filter media wet or you'll have to cycle the tank again...

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
what part of the world are you in? If it is warm where you are, then I would consider ditching the heater altogether as sometimes they need a bit of calibrating when put in a new tank. A warm car and a warm room would be good enough in my opinion.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I agree with Delta. A heater can be more trouble than its worth. You'll end up with temp swings that could stress your fish out more. Warm car, warm house, no drafts. Maybe have your friend gradually reduce the temp in the tank to a more realistic level (75ish) Definitely try to keep the filter damp -- the decor and substrate too if you can (just keep it damp, it doesn't have to be totally submerged)

mcsully

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2006
I was just hearing about that. Problem is I have school on monday nights :(
Right now I'm trying to rearrange my schedule so once I leave my friends house, I'll be going directly home.. Logistics are killing me :)