Fishes for my New 20 Gal Tank

Aug 24, 2007
Stamford, CT
Hi Guys,

I am begineer. Browsing on net i found this as a very good help for begineer. I have a question on my 20 Gal tank. Currently i have

3- Gold SailFin Molly

3- Redeye Tetra

I was thinking of introducing 2 - Dwarf Gourami and 3- Glofish.

Please suggest me whether it will overcrowd my tank or it will be fine.

Thanks
*twirlysmi

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2007
Stamford
Add Glofish

First of All Welcome!

I think it will be fine. The basic rule is to have 1 inch / gallon. It ultimately all depends upon the size of your current fish. And also keep in mind that your present fish will grow bigger in future as well. Happy Fishkeeping!

Any other view from other experts?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Generally, it is not a good idea to keep more than one gourami in a tank, especially one as small as 20 gallons. If you add anything, I think you would be ok adding one gourami, and then adding onto your tetra school. Usually you should keep around 6 tetra together so they can school properly.

How long has this tank been set up? Is it fully cycled?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
I would just keep watching it. If it gets over 1 ppm, then it's time for a water change.

Your tank is just going through its normal cycling process. You're in the midst of your nitrite spike. That will eventually pass, and it will be time to add a couple more fish.

For a more in depth explanation of what's going on in your tank, check out this link: Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

~JW

Aug 24, 2007
Stamford, CT
Question- i am confussed pls help on fishes

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie....and i have 3 Molly and 3 Redeye tetra in my 20 Gal tank. I will be adding more fish as soon as my Nitrite level reaches 0. But i am little confussed on fishes. Initally i thaught of adding 3 redeye tetra and a dwarf Gourami. But now i am not finding Gourami that attractive. Now i am thinking of Glofish.
Just curious how many Glofish will i be able to keep, with 6 redEye Tetra and 3 Molly?

Are there any other suggestion on fish, i should keep?

Thanks,
Rajesh

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I combined your threads, since we're talking about the same topic, same tank, I think it makes sense so that people dont have to reference all of the information from your other thread before they can answer anything here.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Not enough to be worth it. Tetras and Danios (which is what Glofish are) both like to be in big groups. The more you have in the tank (without overstocking) the happier the fish will be, which will in turn lead to more natural (and interesting) behavior, which will make for a more attractive tank.

Lots of different kinds of small fish is not a recipie for a nice looking tank. Pick one type of small, schooling fish and get a bunch of them (in a 20 gallon youre looking at maybe a dozen, but having the mollies in there knocks that down to 9 or so), and have one bigger "centerpiece" fish.

If it were my tank, I'd return the mollies, get more tetras, and decide on a centerpiece fish. Gouramis are nice IMO, but if you don't like them, there are certainly other options, perhaps a pair of killies or something like that.

~JW

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
well the full grown size of the red eye tetra will be close to 3in and with the mollies on avg 3in..id say thats about stocked in my opinion..you may get away with 1-3 glowfish when your tank is stable and completely cycled but i would not add more than that