FishFreak's 20 Gallon Prop Tank

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
I haven't been on the site for a while so here is what I was hiding:
I am also about to post a thread about my 12 gallon Nano Cube
I am starting to set up my 20 gallon prop tank. Right now it is not plumbed to anything. For christmas I am planning to plumb it to the 10 gallon below after I take down the FW system. For right now I am going to keep the lower half for LR and the top half for the egg crating. I will have two levels. One is 9" off the bottom and the other is going to be 12".
Here are the pics:

This is my FW tank which I will change into a sump.

The full stand and tanks

My 12" rack

My 8" rack

Tell me what you think.

Is it possible to plumb it to my sump without drilling?
Any advice?

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
I added both stands and they are both stable enough to hold the pieces of LR that are at the bottom of the tank.

My nitrates have already hit the highest they are going and are now dropping. I figure it will be cycled within a week. Then come the frags! I am looking forward to adding a polyp of micros.

For anyone that is interested in birds, here is my pair of Gouldian finches:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That looks reasonable. Mine is broken down right now.

1. If you want plumb thme together drill the upper. Don't ponce around with siphon overflows and so on.
2. I too used eggcrate to put stuff on. However mine was much lower as I ususally only kept the tank half full of water (mine was a 20 long). I used T5 lighting, with a depth of about 4 inches to the frags (sarco's, some montipora, other bits and bobs).
3. I barebottomed mine, but can appreciate your used of a dsb. I was able to feed things quite well just by stirring up the organics on the bottom. I also had some live rock rubble.
4. I never ran a skimmer, I just did water changes as required. It was very easy, and I was pleased with how it worked.

As a coincidence I sold that tank with the T5's just last night. It was the tank I used for the stickied 'my new tank thread' atthe top, and the guy is going to use it for his first marine tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can well believe it - people think they won't get much skimmate even out of tanks with little load, but that's usually a reflection on the crappiness of the skimmer rather than the lack of skimmable organics.
There are some conflicting thoughts on skimming frag tanks
For skimming - clean tank , so good for sps?
Against skimming - likely to rip out available foodstuffs, so keep it a little dirty for softies, xenia and so on
A largish farmer I know who lives near my father in Britain only skims after he's done a bunch of fragging as he thinks the amount of mucus released at that point is dangerous, he is very successful (it's know his job effectively).

What's the lighting on this by the way?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's very blue, but doesn't look exceptionally bright? Maybe that's cause it's still sandy. I think for most home fragging stick to an average 10K, but that's jsut my opinion, plus it depends on what you want to frag.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No, couple of months, or never. That's how coralline seems to grow.

How often are you feeding that lot as I assume you're not doing this for the good of your health and need some rapid growth rates.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
'In Toronto I just bought an 80 polyp Acan Lord colony for $80! The same store had a 5 more (smaller colonies though) at the same price. It's a decent looking one too.The prices are plummeting, as fast as everyones frags are growing'

Quote from another site - looks like the acanthastrea craze is over now.....