Fishless cycle day 2 = 0 nitrites

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yes...I wouldn't expect to see nitrites until your ammonia reading starts going down. I wouldn't even bother starting to test for nitrites until then. The ammonia gets converted to nitrites...so if its not going anywhere you wont have any nitrites right?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The bacteria will stay established. If you're going to have to wait a few days before you get fish you can just keep adding your ammonia every day to "feed" the bacteria...and then the day before you're going to get your fish (or the same day before you go get them) you should do your BIG water change and then dechlor,refill and add fish. The bacteria would stay alive for awhile without food...but as long as you're feeding it it should stay alive indefinitely.

You are not dumb. :) Wouldn't you rather ask and get some validation that you're on the right track than be sorry later that you didn't ask??

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
You rock Froggy, thanks again. Oh and the question I had there before I edited it was so easy I figured it out myself as soon as I posted it.

Also my tank is now cloudy(white) which I see from another post is a bacteria bloom. Thats good yes?

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yes yes!! For once cloudyness is a good thing to have :) When I was cycling my 46 a couple months ago, after I seeded it really heavily once the tank got so cloudy it kinda scared me because I hadn't seen one that cloudy before...but it went away the next day and all was well.

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
well now I'm not sure if my XP2 has any bio media in it. It has 4 foam pads and a white pad. I don't know if bacteria will grow on that stuff?

I wonder if I need to get this:

Bio-Chem Stars® - for fresh and salt water
• Grows massive colonies of beneficial bacteria
• Provides more growing area than plastic balls, foams or undergravel filters
• Advanced polymer material has optimal pore size for maximum oxygen and water transfer
• 20 stars support up to a 100 U.S. gallon (379 L) aquarium

???

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The bacteria will colonize on any porus surface. So yes, you have plenty of biomedia. However, I think a lot of people (incl me) have some sort of media like the one you show. Mine are little ceramic cylinder thingies, I haven't used those ones in the picture...but they're all the same idea. Its media that is EXTRA good for the bacteria to build on :) SO if you feel like getting some more...go for it, its not going to hurt anything one way or the other. Just as long as its not "magical" media that claims to reduce ammonia/nitrites/nitrates...and its just the media.

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
ah thats good to know. They do have the ceramic rings as well. I will pick some up.

Ceramic Rings - for fresh and salt water
• Made from extremely porous ceramics for maximum surface area
• Permits the growth of large colonies of beneficial bacteria
• Durable – require no cleaning or maintenance

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Sounds like you are on the right track fishfloater. If you are going to add extra bio-media, I would sugest that you do it asap. Give the bacteria enough time to settle on them while the tank is still cycleing.

I think you will be pleased with the XP2. I have an XP1, and XP3 and love them both.

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
Will do :). I love the XP2. Granted I've never owned any other type but I don't see why people say they are loud. I don't hear mine at all. I had the whistling from the power bar so I drilled out the holes a little and it took care of it.

I did have a problem where it was blowing away patches of my substrate even with it pointing upward at a 45 degree angle. I changed the configuration so it flows longways and it seemed to stop it.

I picked up this Sweeper powerhead, but it felt way under powered so I took it out. It also looked big and bulky in my tank.

Last edited:
May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
Sure thing :), I tried the 226 first then the 228 (the bigest one they make).

I think Im going to pick up one of these:

Seio Super Flow Pump

The energy efficient design of the Seio Super Flow pump uses turbine rotor technology to provide a high volume of water at a low cost. The wide output design disperses water better than the narrow output of most powerheads. Includes an air flow control, ceramic bearings and shaft. Fully submersible.

Much better looking, higher GPH and still has the sweep function.

Last edited:
May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
ok I picked up some ceramic rings. They didn't have the rena one but they had another brand so I got those. They are ceramic and they have holes in the middle like the rena. They should work ok yes?

Also, how many should I put in there? Are they supposed to go in a bag or something?

Last edited: