Fishless Cycle Question

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Ok I am trying to cycle this 10 gallon tank I have with no fish. I followed the instructions in the sticky thread in this forum. Ammonia levels have been at 5 for 3 days. I haven't added any ammonia since 4 days ago. I am getting a 0 on NitrItes and 5 on ammonia consistantly am I not doing something right?

Temp is 84 degrees and I seeded aquarium with gravel and squeezed the filter sponge into it.

I would have thought 5 days later I would have seen some form of nitrites.

Thanks for your help.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Nope, not in my experience anyway. It took six weeks to fishless-cycle my 29gal last year, but it was worth it. It's my most stable tank. I get more enjoyment from it than any other tank I have, except my planted betta tank. I didn't have to lose any fish or do a bajillion every-other-day small water changes like you do when you do a fish-in cycle. I am very glad I patiently cycled it fishless.
I notice you've been here a while. Do you have another tank already set up and cycled? If so, you can swish the filter media from it in the new tank to give you a headstart on your bacteria colony. That'll help out.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Yes I have a 55 gallon tank that I did seed from with gravel and the likes. I didn't fishless cycle that tank like I should have, this one was suppose to be a quantine tank but I want to cycle it while I decide if I should put fish in there or not. I know if I don't I will have to cycle again if I change my mind.