Fishless Cycle Question

paige

Medium Fish
Jun 26, 2006
Burleson, TX
I'm on Day 18 of my first ever fishless cycle. The ammonia dropped to zero on Day 11. My nitrites have dropped slightly and are now stuck between 1-2ppm. My nitrates are around 40ppm.

My pH has remained stable at 7.9, however my KH has dropped from 4dKH to 3dKH. Do I need to be concerned about it dropping? Today was the first time I've tested it since starting the cycle.

I've read the nitrite part can take much longer than the ammonia part, is this true? If so, that stinks. I'm ready for fish!

paige

Medium Fish
Jun 26, 2006
Burleson, TX
So no need to worry about the KH dropping? I tested the nitrites this afternoon and they were 0.50...but I try to test at the same time every day to be more accurate -- in the evenings. So when I did my "official" test tonight it was higher. I got all excited too. :(

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep...sounds like everything is on track. The high nitrates is a great sign that everything is progressing, they'll most likely get a LOT higher than that before the nitrites hit 0. The nitrite part does take longer than the ammonia part usually. Hang in there! The patience is worth it! :)