Fishless Cycle Question

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah, yeah, yeah. In the "beginner info" forum asking about the cycle:rolleyes:
Anyway, I read JWright's thread about doing a fishless cycle(which refreshed my memory on cycling a tank:eek: ) and read about ways to speed up a cycle. I might get a 3 gallon Eclipse from Petco on Sunday, and am planning on putting my CT Betta in there. The thread says you can speed up the cycle by adding benificial bacteria aka gravel, filter cartridges from an established tank. I plan on putting in a first layer of Shulz's from my 10g into the three, then adding a layer of black gravel for more contrast. Yes it will be planted. I plan on also adding some foxtail and bacopa from my 10g into there. If I do this, how long do you think would it take to cycle and be safe for the betta? The 10g has been set up since October of '05.

Thanks,

Smalltank

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I imagine there won't be any noticeable cycle, with the live plants and established gravel and only the one fish. Just make sure to add the betta the same day as the gravel, so the bacteria doesn't starve. If you're worried, you can swish the 10g filter in the 3g to get some extra bacteria, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Wait so your saying that adding all that I plan to would be enough bacteria? Sweet:D
I will probably add just water(dechlored) the day I get it and let the filter run. Then 3 or 4 days later I'll add everything. Is this a good plan?
I will probably add an Oto and 2 or 3 ghost shrimp to clean up on algae.

Thanks caps.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah. I'd wait on the oto until you actually have algae, not sure on the shrimp but they'd probably be fine immediately (some bettas don't like shrimp, just so you know). You'll also want to check to make sure it's really cycled before adding an oto, bettas are tough enough to take a little ammonia/nitrite spike but otos can be finicky.

You don't really need to let it run for a few days if you're using dechlorinated water, but it won't hurt anything and will give you time to make sure everything's working properly. I'm not sure how an eclipse filter works exactly, but you could throw an extra filter cartridge into your 10g now and then move that over to the 3g filter when you get it.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
I have 2 HOB filters on my ten and one has a sponge that I can take out so that would be another boost of bacteria:). Yeah, I wasn't planning on adding an oto until I know for sure I have algae, and my parameters are all in check.

Thanks for all your help!

Smalltank

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
I did the exact same on my 3 gallon beta tank. I took a couple cups of gravel and a decoration from my 20 gallon, as well as 3 gallons of water. There was zero cycle and all has been fine for quite a while.

I also did the same on my 5 gallon tank and it cycled (or caught up) in just 4 days.

Ah.....the power of bacteria. :)