Fishless Cycle Stop there

hutucong

Small Fish
Apr 10, 2005
Hi

I am beginner and tried to set up my first 2g tank.

I bought the clear ammonia from Shoprite and the water is underground water (well water). My lanloard said the water is perfect except that it is very hard but he added some softer so the hardness level is normal.

I did not know my tank is undergravel filter at first. And unfortunately I only put a little grave above it, even did not cover the whole bottom.

I started my cycle at 05/02. Add ammonia and the level is 5ppm. I waited one week, but nothing changed, NH3 is 5ppm still, NO2 is 0ppm. I did not test NO3 since NO2 is 0ppm. So I put some filter filler from my friend's tank. The first day after that I saw NO2 was 0.25ppm but NH3 is staill 5ppm. After another week, I guess that maybe I have to cover the bottom with gravels after I know my filter is undergravel one. So I bought more gravels from PetCo and put it into tank. Then another week is passed, nothing is changing. NH3 is 5ppm, NO2 is 0.25ppm.

Yesterday I tested NO3 and found it goes to 40! (I did not test NO3 except the first time I set up that tank, wich is 5ppm) But NH3 is 5ppm and NO2 is still 0.25 ppm. What is wrong with my cycle?

By the way, my air pump is noisy, so I turned it off at night, (12pm ~ 9 am). Is that related?

If the cycle still does not work, I am going to return this tank(I feel it is too small and air pump is really noisy) and buy a bigger one (5g), could your guys suggest any good one I can get from PetCo?

Thanks!

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
New myself

I've only started aquariums since last fall, so I am not an expert.

But I would expect with a 2gal tank you are gonna have alot more trouble with the nitrogen cycle.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Turning off the pump at night could very well be related...although there are a TON of factors. Temperature is one of them...oxygen content in the water is very important (turning the filter off at night would stop the gas exchange in the water...possibly lowering the o2 content)

I'm terrible with the chemical signs...can someone point out which ones are nitrite, nitrate and ammonia? I think the NH3 is ammonia...you might be keeping that at too high of a level...try only taking it to 3ppm instead. If your nitrAte level is the one that is high (40ppm) then it means your tank is cycling because nitrate is the end result of the cycle. Unless you have nitrates in your water...you might test that.

You might also try a big water change? Make sure the new water is approximately the same temperature (high 70's) With well water you dont have to worry about a dechlorinator right? but you might use a water conditioner if you have any metals in the water...

I think any of us would suggest that you start with as large of a tank as you can afford/fit...because as soon as you go through the hassle of one tank, you're going to want a bigger one :) Personally I would suggest a 20 or 29G to any beginners because they're easier to balance and have a lot more options as far as what fish you can fit in them. Many people are very disappointed to find out that their 2 or 5 g is only suitable for one or two fish. However, just wanted to point out that whether your tank is 2 or 50 gallons...the cycle is the same and usually takes the same amt of time...its just harder to regulate the conditions in a small tank.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Since its is only a 2gallon, try a 1 gallon water change with a bottle of water that has been through reverse osmosis (will say on the label of drinking water) Foodlion sells one. Also - does your tank have a heater? Bacteria multiply at a much more rapid rate in warmer waters and thats what you want, those bacteria consume the ammonia. Don't turn off the pump at night if you are running your undergravel filter with it. You can create areas under the gravel plate that get no oxygen and any progress growing healthy bacteria will fail because the bacteria will die from lack of O2. You should also have another filter with a undergravel, you need to have the ability to filter through resins and carbon should the need arise.

Finally - Don't freak out if in the next week or so your nitrates rise, that means that your tank is cycling, ie converting ammonia to nitrite. I agree with what froggy said - if you 1) don't feel that you can live with the pump in the tank on all the time then just take the tank back and get another, hopefully bigger one. I know you can get a ten with a hood for about 24 dollars at pet smart. I wouldn't go any smaller than that because beginners mistakes are much more toxic in a smaller tank. Also, it can take up to 2 months to cycle a tank even for the best of us.

hutucong

Small Fish
Apr 10, 2005
Thanks a lot for your guys' answer.

I returned my tiny 2g tank and got a 10g one with an external power filter.

I did not test pH before. This time, I bought a Ph test kit and tested the water from tap, it exceeds my testing kit range 7.6. Then I got a test kit from my landlord who use it to test water/swim pool. It shows pH 8.4, alkalinity 240 ppm, chlorine 0.25. I believe it is very high! (The water is underground water.)

Although all your senior guys mentioned pH stable is more important than a "correct" range and adding pH Up/Down additives is not good. Still will it stop my fishless cycle and kill bacteria?

What should I do? Carry water from my company's restroom? I am feeling miserable now:)

Thanks!

Last edited:

hutucong

Small Fish
Apr 10, 2005
Sorry I forgot mention that I add 3ppm ammonia into the water.

discus4everGrl said:
I would get 2 small hardy fish. Since nitrosomana bateria can only multiply with a food source, ie. ammonia, unless there is food they will not multiply.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If there is chlorine in your water, you will need to add a dechlorinator. I'm not sure if the pool test kit is accurate on lower levels, but any chlorine in the water will kill the cycle bacteria you're trying to cultivate. The pH level you have will not affect the cycle.

Definitely keep up with the fishless cycle, it's much better in the long term for your fish and your understanding of water chemistry :)