Fishless cycle?

Mar 5, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm new to this whole hobby and I have a few questions. I've done extensive research but I really need specific answers. Firstly, i purchased a new 20 gallon tank with two filters, a heater, ect... And I am attempting a fishless cycle. I have added fish food, and it is definitely decaying. There are little clear white-ish strands of slimy stuff on the food that has been rotting. The tank smells absolutely awful. The person at the store I went to told me to get nutrafin cycle, use it and feed my tank as if there were fish in it. I am setting up a brackish tank for a green spotted puffer, or possibly something else (because If I get a gsp, I will have to upgrade to a 30 gal before it is fully grown.) anyways, I am getting a test kit tomorrow for ammonia and such, and I was wondering if I am on the right track, or am I not doing something right. Also, I need to know when to add the salt to my tank to make it brackish.do I add it after the tank has cycled? During? Do I slowly increase the salinity for the fish in the tank once they're in there? I'm very new to this and I'd love some answers or confirmation that I am on the right track. Thanks!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
As far as the fishless cycle it sounds like you are doing everything fine. Just keep 'feeding' the tank, if you skimp on it, the bacteria will die. I'm not sure about the salt but there are people here more experienced than my self, I'm sure they will help. Just keep in mind that it will likely take about a month to cycle, so be patient.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
FW, how long has your fishless cycle been going on?

Was there a reason you chose to use fish food for your ammonia source as opposed to using household ammonia? There's no stink when using ammonia and you're a step ahead of the game in that you don't have to wait for organic matter to get all nasty, decompose and form ammonia.

You should have a water parameter test kit on hand at the beginning of the process, so you can get a baseline on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels (in ppm). Most of us use an API master test kit, but I'm sure other liquid tests would be fine too.

What temperature are you running the tank at? High 80F range is best for fishless cycling. Good aeration helps too. Of course you need some substrate in the tank for BB to grow on and a good filtration system with bio media in it for BB to grow on.

I went the household ammonia route. My 29 gal took ~37days to cycle and my 10gal took about 2 weeks. Being completely honest, neither was easy, not did either happen "text book" as write-ups online suggest.

With lots of testing, wisdom from the folks here and some common sense, I got through it and it was rewarding for me in the end having accomplished it.

Last edited: