Fishless Cycling, Ammonia Question

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I have a 10 gallon tank up and running. After 4 stores that I went to I found ammonia with water, ammonia and a chelating agent. Can I use this? If not I don't know whatelse to do. I went to 4 stores looking for this.

Thank you

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I got mine at Wal MArt it is their brand LoL I think your right, however I went to 3 different places afterwards looking and still nothing could I find. Everything was lemon scented of cloudy or sudsy LoL

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Not entirely sure why but I heard its best to just use as pure of a kind you can find (ie. nothing besides water and ammonia). I found mine at the local grocery store with their cleaning supplies, store brand Albertsons.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
well after the hunt for pure ammonia I have given up. I looked in our hardware stores, grocery stores, drug stores, etc. the purest I found has the chelating agent in it so it is what I have been using. I really hope it is ok because I don't know what to do otherwise.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
whereabouts are you?? Maybe someone near you has found some?

Hopefully it'll be ok...but I think while you're waiting for the cycle to progress I'd keep looking and then looking for an answer to whether its OK with the chelating agent or not.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
the website poste abouve said it is ok everything ele he wrote seemed right too i am in a rural area in northern michigan lol i doubt anyone is near me.

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
Lab ammonia

I had the same problem trying to find ammonia. I thought that I had found it in a hardware shop after many visits to other places. The label said that it was a 9.5% solution with water. When I got the stuff home and opened the bottle, it looked the same colour as methylated spirits, so bells started to ring and I didnt use it. I'm lucky enough to be working beside a horticulturl lab, so I asked the labtec if he had any pure ammonia. He was only too happy to given me a free bottle of 50% ammonia/water solution (its good stuff).

So if you know anyone who works in a lab and your looking for ammonia the chances are that they will have some.