Fishless Cycling - for over 2 weeks now

Hi,
I've been lurking for a while and soaking up knowledge:D I've got a few questions and am hoping someone can help me. I would also like to apologize for the size of this post in advance.

I bought a used 55 gallon aquarium about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I purchased a Rena Filstar XP2 for our filter with Bio-Chem Stars added, a Rena 200W heater and we also have a powerhead running. We brought it home and cleaned it with tap water only. We rinsed the gravel throughly before adding it to the aquarium. I also added water conditioner to the water before filling the tank. We have several plastic plants and driftwood in the tank.

I finally found pure ammonia about a week and a half ago. (after about 30 phone calls and numerous stops around town) Prior to that, I had been adding fish food to try to get ammonia. My LFS sold me Cycle. (this was before I figured out that it wasn't worth a cr@p) Needless to say, the cycle hasn't done much to get the nitrogen cycle going.

I went to another LFS in town. The lady there has given me "filter squeezings" twice. I would say about a week a part. Each time she gave them to me I made sure to get it into the tank within half an hour. I read somewhere that the bacteria would start to die off without oxygen after about 30 minutes.

We have an API master test kit. I checked the expiration date on the kit and it is still good. I've been testing the water everyday. Since I added the ammonia to the tank, my ammonia has read between 2 and 4 PPM and nitrites have remained at 0 ppm everyday. I have the powerhead running with an aerator to increase the oxygen in the tank. I've also increased the temperature. It's about 85 degrees now.

Should I be worried that the ammonia hasn't dropped yet and the nitrites haven't spiked? Or do I just need to be more patient? Should I try to find another bacteria source? I've read a lot about Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria. Is it any good?

Also, before adding the driftwood to the tank, we soaked it for 3 or 4 days. This evidently wasn't enough because our water is yellow/brown. I've read about Seachem's Purigen. Is this product safe? Also, can it be used in place of charcoal?

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
Cycling takes time. Just give it a couple more weeks and your nitrite should spike soon. The longer you cycle, the better for your fishes later.

As for your driftwood, I'm pretty sure you have to boil it but let's wait for someone else to comment on that.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Yep be patient, and dont be afraid to add some ammonia every couple days. First time I did a fishless cycle i didnt really measure ammonia, just kept adding. Didnt take but a few weeks and nitrates where way up there. Didnt add any bacteria either. So just give it time and the best of luck.

Feb 27, 2009
We have an API master test kit. I checked the expiration date on the kit and it is still good. I've been testing the water everyday. Since I added the ammonia to the tank, my ammonia has read between 2 and 4 PPM and nitrites have remained at 0 ppm everyday.
I would suggest to try keeping the ammonia amount the higher reading you are getting. If it drops below that, add more ammonia.

Should I be worried that the ammonia hasn't dropped yet and the nitrites haven't spiked? Or do I just need to be more patient? Should I try to find another bacteria source? I've read a lot about Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria. Is it any good?
The 'squeezings' you got from the other pet store will do more than any bacteria in a bottle. Just my 2cents. Yes, you just need more time to complete this. You are doing a great job in the decision to go fish-less. More humane for the fish you will keep ulitimately.

Also, before adding the driftwood to the tank, we soaked it for 3 or 4 days. This evidently wasn't enough because our water is yellow/brown.
The discoloration is not harmful. If the driftwood is small enough, you can try boiling it to release more of the tannins. Charcoal can remove it from the water if you don't like the color. Keep in mind, charcoal is only good for a few days. Once it has adsorbed (not absorbed) what it can, it can do no more. Unless you need to remove medications or tannins, there is no need to use charcoal.

I've read about Seachem's Purigen. Is this product safe?
While doing a fishless cycle, I wouldn't use it. It removes organic waste that produces ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from the water column. You are using ammonia, so there is nothing it could do fo you. Besides, you need to let the nitrogen compounds feed the beneficial bacteria. I've not used it personally (I keep plants which keep the water clean), but some swear by it.

Good luck with your cycle and be sure to put up some pics to show your progress when you start adding fish.

Do you know what you want to add later?

Thanks everyone! I will begin adding a few drops of ammonia everyday as you've suggested. I'm pretty sure we will be going with a community tank. They only fish we know that we want for sure are guppies. I plan on using aqadvisor before stocking the tank to make sure the fish we want will coexist happily and that their ph and temps needs are the same.

Again, thanks! I will post some pics as soon as we get some fish.

Good news! I just checked my tanks. (we set-up a 5 gallon last week for a hospital tank). The 55 is still the same readings but the 5 gallon has 1 ppm ammonia and .5 ppm nitrites! I just sat it up last weekend! It's going to cycle before the 55 gallon. Is that normal? I put a few drops of ammonia back in both. Was it alright to put more ammonia in the 5 gallon? Thanks for all your help. I'm sooo excited! I'm finally getting nitrites!

Here's an update. My five gallon has consistently had ammonia readings of zero for the past week. The nitrite gradually climbed to 5 ppm. For the past week, the nitrite has dropped to 1 ppm for 3 days and has been at .5 ppm for the past 3 days. The past two days my nitrates have climbed to 5 ppm. The way I understand it the nitrates need to climb to about 40 ppm before I can consider the tank cycled? Is this right? If so, after the nitrates reach 40 ppm and the nitrites and ammonia constantly remain at zero I need to do a large water change, right? I thought I would wait a couple of days after the water change and monitor the tank to make sure my readings on nitrite and ammonia stay at zero. Oh, I've also been adding ammonia to the tank each day to keep feeding the bacteria.

On to the 55 gallon: After about four weeks of ammonia readings and no nitrites, I finally got some nitrite last night. Yeah!

Thanks for all the kind words of advice. This is a great forum and I've definitely learned a lot. Also, after looking at all the beautiful planted tanks you guys have, I've been converted. I think we're going to try to add some plants...

I've never been a very patient person. I'm the type to jump in feet first and go for it. This past month I've definitely learned how to be patient!

Quick Question:

Upon testing each tank last night, the five gallon is still holding its own with:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: .5 ppm
Nitrates: 5 ppm

However, the 55 gallon had these readings:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 20 ppm

The 55 gallon showed .25 ppm Nitrites the night before last and last night it was at zero. Does this mean the tank has cycled? I thought the Nitrites would spike higher than that something similar to what the ammonia did. Is this normal?

I haven't done anything different. I'm still adding a few drops of ammonia each evening to feed the bacteria.

Thanks to all who respond.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
keep adding the ammonia for a few more days. if all looks clear on the 55 gallon then you should buy your first fish the day after you added a few ammonia drops :)

Thanks Newman! Do you think if I monitor the water on the 55 thru Sunday and nothing changes, it would be safe to assume that the cycling is done? I could then do a major water change. Would 30 gallons be enough or would you change out at least 40?

Thanks for all your help by the way! Love the pics of your tank...hopefully mine will look like that one day. The plastic plants just aren't doing it for me anymore!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea Sunday sounds reasonable if you are that impatient to get some life in there lol.
honestly half the tank's total volume will be enough to lower the nitrates to an acceptable level if they read around 20-30ppm on Sunday.

Yes, I'm just a little impatient. Been going about this since 2/1! But, I know it will be the best for the fishies in the long run so it doesn't hurt me to wait a while!

I just checked everything in the 55:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 20 ppm

Yeah! Two more days to go...

Thanks again for your help!