Fishless cycling

I am going to fishless cycle my new tank thats going outside. Now reading the sticky I have a question(s).

Would pure ammonia hurt my plants? I wont have enough to actually start stocking the tank so that is why I ask.

Also, I know it will take a few weeks but after the Nitrites reach 0 I add fish right? Since this is the first time fishless cycle for me(I know Im bad :eek: ) I want to make sure I add the fish at the right time.

Also I dont actually have a filter for the tank but its going to be El Natural on filtration with 2 wc's a week(30%) so would that be a problem for the cycle?

According to Iggy's guide it says do one water change at the end of the Nitrite cycly, is that the only water change I do?

You would think I would know this by now but like I said this is the first time Im fish less cycleing.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Do your water change (say about 90-95%) then add all the fish.

The amount of pure ammonia you will be adding probably is not enough to harm your plants. I dosed my tank daily with about 3 tsp (then down to 1 tsp) with apongeton, java fern, etc. and there were no negative effects.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Since bacteria colonize on the filter and the water movement is what really gets things going...I'd get the filter on there asap. I can't imagine that your plants are going to be very happy about no water movement either.

Yeah, I cycled a 30g with two filters and a bubble stone for maximum water movement.

I've been wondering why a filter's not being used on this tank...
The tank is going to have a filter but not at the beginning. I am going to buy the tank this month and the filter the following month. So about 2 months for the tank to be up and running :(