Fishtank backgrounds & props

nesthead

Small Fish
Nov 4, 2005
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. By the way, thanks for the sticky on setting up a new tank - it's very well written. Simple and clear.

I wanted to know about all the "toys" and the fishtank backgrounds that the stores sell. Do the fish care what colors are in the tank or should you try to put them in as natural a habitat as where they came from? I am setting up my 1st 10 gallon freshwater tank and am kind of stressing over this. I don't want to change it after the little boys and girls are in there. :confused:

Thanks. *SUNSMILE*

fishbrain

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Central NY, USA
www.geocities.com
My personal opinion is that natural is best. Dark background & substrate (Eco-Complete for live plants). Let the fish be the color beyond the greens, black, & browns of their aquarium habitat. You could do a set-up with easy low-light plants & a peice of driftwood (perhaps a terracotta pot).

Although I Now prefer natural I still have "un-natural" decor in some of my tanks; ie: a shipwreck in 1, castles in another, & rainbow colored crap in my Q-tank.

Honestly, I think it's all up to you. Just make sure there are safe hiding places for the fish & they'll adapt.

More important issues are: water quality, compatibility, & stocking #'s.

Good Luck & Welcome to the tank!!!