Fliter

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have an Aqueon Quietflow20 filter. It has a cartridge filter with some white filter material and carbon in it. Instructions say to replace it monthly, but what I am understanding from reading in the forum that I am to just swish it in used tank water to get rid of some of the debris until it is absolutely clogged and then try to get two cartridges in there for a couple of days before removing the old one. Is my understanding of this procedure correct? :confused:

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
with any type of filter you dont want to replace frequently. this is a companies way of getting you to buy more product from them. you shouldnt replace your filters until they are falling apart. and yes just swish off your filter with old tank water when doing water changes.

you dont want to replace because you will lose all that important bacteria that stabilizes tanks

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
+1 on tropicalcrazy. When the filter media starts to literally fall apart, you should replace it - you can have the new one in your tank somewhere, or if it fits into the filter cavity with the old one, super. If that doesn't work, you can rub all the junk from the old one you are going to throw away all over the new one, plus soak the new one in some nasty tank water when you are doing a water change.