Fluidized bed filter

Sep 12, 2003
Springfield, MO
Has any one used a FBF (fluidized bed filter) successfully on a reef setup. I like the filtering capacity but am afraid of the nitrate bildup. I am thinking of building one and using it on my 72 Bow.

Also on a second note be sure to check back on my post I should have new pics up very soon. Got the camera back.

Feel free to debate the pros and cons of fbf's

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I dont think it would be practicle on such a small tank, especially a reef. It wil create a little bit of nitrates. I would just put that money towards a few powerheads and some live rock.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
5ppm of nitrates? thats in the acceptable range...a fbf might raise it to the danger zone though...
instead of powerheads, buy a good pump and use pvc and all sorts of other plumbing wonders to create a sweet water movement system...i am finding that this costs more in initial setup, but tank temperature is lower...the whole plumbing configuration kills me though

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They're great filters, but totally aerobic in enviroment and great nitrate farms. And don't ever have a power cut as the bacterial colones seem terminally sensitive in them.

For most people a waste of a lot of effort i.m.o., unless you want a colossal FO setup