fluorescent lighting overheating?

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I have two dual fluorescent strips lights enclosed pretty good in a canopy. after a few days one of the strips stops working and Im wondering if its due to overheating. theres a vent and an exaust fan but the strip that wont turn on is the one the farthest away from it. 2 questions: what is the overheating temp for a 40w magnetic ballast? and if my ballast did overheat? if so, do I have to replace it? Ive heard that some ballasts work again once the temp goes back down.

Usualy flourescent tubes don't get too hot compared to other types of lighting. If botht the tubes are connected to one ballast and one tube goes out then it isn't the ballast's problem, its the tube. Also i dont get when you say two dual strips, do you mean 4 tubes or 2 powercompact lights or do you just mean 2 flourescent tubes?

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Balloon Fish said:
Also i dont get when you say two dual strips, do you mean 4 tubes or 2 powercompact lights or do you just mean 2 flourescent tubes?
its 2 striplights with two 48" bulbs each, making 4 bulbs total. but the both bulbs on one of the striplights are still out. not sure what to do about it anymore.

it sounds like a ballast problem then. is it one of those fixtures where they have a big ballast in the middle of the fixture and the two tubes are out to the sides? like the ones in the workshop lights? How long have you had it? and when did it break? if it was me i'd just run to walmart and buy another one for $15. Or you could run to homedepot and just get a new ballast, and if you're growing plants get one for 4tubes and overdrive it :D but i think it only works with electric ballasts and no magnetic ones like the one you have right now.