Fluval 404 in a Marine aquarium

sutton81

Small Fish
Jul 1, 2009
Hi everyone,
I have a 190 litre freshwater aquarium that i am about to convert to a marine aquarium. I am currently runnning the tank with a Fluval 404, i have had some advice telling me to ditch this filter and install a sump with skimmer. Is this the best thing?? So many questions! lol. Also i understand that tap water with tap safe isn't sufficient with a marine aquarium, what do you have to do with the water then? Thanks for any replies in advance.
Ems :) who is still researching! *BOUNCINGS

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Hi, welcome to saltwater. Fisrt off, if you have not done so yet, please read all the stickies at the beginning of the Saltwater forum. They contain a wealth of information on what you need to know about setting up your saltwater aquarium

You are better off not using the canister filter and using a sump instead. The majority of your filtering is going to be done with live rock and your protein skimmer. You can find a lot of information about sumps on the internet. One good place to go is Melevsreef.com - Welcome!. Go into the DIY section and you will find some helpfull information.

Tap water is not good for a Saltwater setup. Besides chlorine, it contains other harsh stuff, such as phosphates and nitrates, which will promote algae growth. There are other things in there too that you don't want either. The best way to go is to use RO/DI water. Many people have a RO system set up just for their aquarium, but you can also get it at most supernarkets in bulk. Just bring your own containers. That is what I did before putting in my RO/DI system.