Fluval Filter

IronRyno

Medium Fish
Jun 28, 2005
St. Pete, FL
I'm running a Fluval 404 on a 90g tank. Is this enough filtration? I'm thinking it may not be. Should I add something else? Recommendations? Am I hurting the tank/fish?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
With any large tank you should run 2 filters. The norm is to run a large HOB along with your canister. It will give you added protection in the event that the one of the filters cuts out for some reason.

Wile the 404 is a nice filter (most of the canisters I have are 404s) and rated for up to 100 gals, I just don't think it provides enough filtration to be the lone filter for anything larger than a 75.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah your gonna need more filtration.

The stock of my 90-
3 8" inch Severums
1 6-7" Fire mouth
1 11" Royal Plec <--filtration beast
2 5" Dojo loaches
3 2" Skunk Loaches
3 5" synos (not sure of the species)
1 4" whip tail
6 lemon tetras

Filtration- 2 Fluval 404s, 2 Penguin BIO-Wheel 350s

If I didn't have the Royal I could do away with the 2 Penguins or 1 of the 404s.

You have a common, wile he won't be as messy as my Royal he is still going to be messy when he gets over 10 inches.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I agree with Pure, larger tanks work better with two filters. You don't get dead spots, and if one filter fails for some reason, you still have filtration. Especially on a heavily stocked tank, if a filter fails and it's the only one you have, you'll end up with dead fish very fast.

IronRyno

Medium Fish
Jun 28, 2005
St. Pete, FL
What would you guys recommend? Another Fluvall? Hob? I like the idea of a good hob. Which one is best? The HOB's I've seen, the hook on the back isn't wide enough for my tank. You know how the larger tanks have that wider plastic ring around the top edge, the smaller tanks don't have that. I see a lot of those AquaClear HOBs around at the local LFSs. Would that work?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
IronRyno said:
What constitutes a high or low bioload? Not sure what exactly that means. Something to do with the size of the fish waste? :(
Yes...the more fish you have, the more crap you'll have from those fish as a result of defacation as well as uneaten food scraps; hence, you would have a higher bioload.

Hope this makes sense.
Big Vine