Flying Fish

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
I put my finger in the bowl through the hole in the top, and my betta latched on really good. I jerked my finger out and he came flying out and onto the floor. I got him back in, and he just swam to the bottom and sat there kinda panting. I felt sooo bad, so I put some freeze-dried bloodworms in there for him. He ate them and he's swimming around now. Do you guys think he'll be ok? He can move his side fins but he seems to like them close to his side now. He still swims with them sometimes.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
He's probably OK, but maybe a little freaked out. I had a fish jump out of a container from the kitchen counter onto a tile floor, and he was fine a few hours later. As long as he wasn't out of the water long, and didn't hit anything too hard, he should pull through.

Mar 11, 2003
He's probably okay. The fall, could have removed some of his slime coat (the layer over the scales that make fish slimey). Slime coat helps them stay immune to diseases, so be on the look out for any signs of disease (unusual spots or coloring). The best ways to prevent disease are to do water changes as often as possible (1/2 gallon = 2 times a week, 1 gallon = once a week) and add aquarium salt.

Alexa

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I wondered what a bite felt like. We must have pretty nice bettas. My nephew's betta comes near my arm when I am cleaning the tank but he just stays there and comes about 1/4 inch away from my arm then looks at me. I haven't been bitten yet. I better cross my fingers. :)