flying foxes

MEng

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
so i just checked out www.aqadvisor.com to see wha tit had to say about my tank.

Its telling me...

Warning: Flying Fox is too big to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.
Warning: Flying Fox is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Now I've had these fish for a while now and they dont seem to be a problem. The flying fox pretty much minds his own business, doesn't bother anyone.
Is there something I should be looking for or is it possible these fish can get along?

Also, often i catch the flying fox swimming in loops along the side of the tank, whats up with that?

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
If your flying fox is showing no aggression towards any of the fish in your tank they should be fine together. But you should look into get a bigger tank just because your flying fox will get to be about 6", the danios will get to be about 2 1/2", and the glowlights will get to be about 2". The rule of thumb I've always been lead to believe is 1 inch = 1 gallon. As for the flying fox swimming in loops along the side of the tank, I have no clue sorry.

Feb 27, 2009
What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for the tank?

Unusual pacing/looping can sometimes be caused by poor water conditions, or too small of an aquarium.

MEng

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
i'm not sure of the readings. i dont have a kit and havent taken the water to be tested since the cycling process finished. but i do weekly 25% water changes and monthly 50% changes

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you must get a kit. please do and test water weekly if you really care about what happens to your fish.
Loops just mean new tank anxiety or stresed behavior. my big swordtail (i mean almost 4") does the loops in my 40 gallon tank. partly becuase there is little horizontal room for a big fish like that. my water has never been a problem personally (0ammo,0rite,always around 10 rates) so looping doesnt necessarily mean bad water conditions, but can like cones said.