Foil as a background?

Jul 15, 2003
Western New York
Has anyone tried foil as a background? Just for the heck of it I took a 2 foot piece of foil and put it behind my tank and it looked kind of cool! I was thinking after I took the foil away that if I added a few wrinkles in the foil it would look even better...I am going to try to find colored foil to see how that looks...

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Hahahaha! Ahh it is funny that you mentioned that! Man, that brings back memories.
When I first started getting into aquariums my mom always suggested using colored foil as a backround. My Grandma used to have a lot of fish tanks when my mom was young, and they always used foil. I would always laugh and say NO! That would look dorky! My mom insisted that if you wrinkle up the foil first it looks even better!

Of course I never tried it so I had no idea what it really looked like. It was just one of those things....

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
It has a nice effect. I would agree that colored foil will be very effective. I found some light green quilted foil . . . crumpled it andd have in behind 1 of my betta tanks. It looks pretty good.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Use regular tin foil as a back ground. Glass marbles as substrate. Glass jars for decor and fill it full zebra danios(or other fish with silver). That would be a cool effect. The fish wouldn't like the light bouncing off everything thought. It would be REALLY bright.

mfj

Large Fish
Jul 22, 2003
harrisburg nc
Visit site
i really love my background for my tank. i took a piece of clear mylar wrapping paper with that holographic look and crinkled it up. then i put a non-crinkled piece of royal blue solid paper behind it. the colors that came out of that combination really look nice. it has this kinda green/bronze/blue 3-d effect that i think looks awesome!

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by Balance
wrapping paper as a background would be good also.

especially if you are looking for cool colors that have have lots of shine, reflection or gloss to them.

if your looking for fat red men and wrapped up box's for a back ground?

hehe jk
i think u mean the shinny stuff that doesnt have anything xmas like on it right? or birthday like?

denimous

Large Fish
May 18, 2003
sunny california
Visit site
acrylic sheeting may also be used as a background, you can stick it in the very back of the inside of your tank. you can get it in different colors, i considered it because itd be easy to buy different sheets and stick them you get bored of the color. i know you can also cut designs and shapes out of it
...but i decided to go planted instead.

Apr 10, 2016
When I was a bit younger, OK a lot younger, the 70's, they use to sell aquarium foil backgrounds. It was on a roll, coated in plastic. You just went to the local pet store or department store that had fish and bought however much you needed. It came in, as I remember, gold, black green and red was easy to crumble and create caves etc behind the tank. Wish they still made it, I am tired of the backgrounds they now sell....