food

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
I went out on sunday with my bf and went to the pet store cause he wanted to buy a 10 gal tank. Anyway while i was there i was looking at the betta fish. I found this cute little shy betta the color of teal with a bit of red and purple streaks in his tail soooo cute, so I bought him hehehe. Anyway the problem is he is not eating. I gave him the pellet food I have from wardly, then gave him flakes from nutrifin. He took both and spit them out. Then I tried betta gold pellets, he took it in his mouth and spit it out and then ate it as it was falling. That was yesterday, i gave him 2 more pellets, and he didn't touch it so took them out b4 they rot. Then today gave him one this morning and didn't touch it. I am getting worried, is this normal with a new fish??? He is a very nervous fish though I think, he doesn't stop moving and hiding in his castle lol. One more question how do you keep a betta fish longer than a year??? My fish are in those betta tanks 1/2 betta tanks that look like this Marina Betta Kits at PETCO is doing water changed every week ok or do i have to do more water changes? Thanks 4 ur answers.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I had the same problem with my betta when I first got him. He did'nt eat for awhile. I asked on here and all th mft'ers said he would eat when he got hurngy enough! lol Thats exactly what happend!*laughingc

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
yup, they'll eat when hungry. you could always try bloodworms, mine loves them. and i'd recomend getting something bigger than a 1/2 g soon. but not too soon, you dont' want him to go into "big tank syndrome". when they are in bigger tanks, they'll show off more :) and they always look happier.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
I had a similar problem with my crown tail for the first week he would eat off and on and then he ate steadily the next week.So if you ask me it's normal for bettas to adjust slowly to feeding schedules and his new home just give him some time and he'll be fine.

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
Get ready to laugh. I decided since he didn't want to eat the food, I gave him a blood worm from the flake food and low and behold guess who ate the blood worm but left the flakes *laughingc I had a bad experience giving my betta blood worms, that ended him to get sick and die so I refuse to give him just blood worms lol. That little bugger *crazysmil lol here is a picture of him if u are interested.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Jade71301/untitled.jpg
Its not a great picture but you can see his vibrant colors.