For the soft hearted...

Dec 13, 2006
Houston, PA
I don't know about anyone else, but I hate to see the fish suffer. And I read that they can still survive a day or so after you flush them. So if you want, you can euthanize them. You can mix some 80 or more proof alcohol (whisky, vodka etc) with water and they just fall asleep. It's just a little more humane then just flushing them down the toilet, or letting other fish eat the thing alive.

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Thanks for posting that. I always hate to see them suffer as well, and I know people flush them thinking "well, it's dead now" (somehow flushing them down the toilet means they are dead to them). I had heard about the alcohol method, but could not remember what the exact "recipe" was. So thank you for refreshing me. I came really close to euthanizing a fish earlier this week, but luckily she has pulled out of it. I hope more people will read this comment! (For the fishies' sakes)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I too think the alcohol method would be traumatic. Maybe it's just me, but I also think that freezing would be awful as well. If I had to say the most humane method, I'd say guillotine/blunt force trauma. Fortunately, I've never had to do it. I've always given the fish as much time as possible to recover, and I tend to just let them die naturally. Whether that's the moral thing to do or not, I don't know...

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I've had to euthanise a few fish (mostly due to NTD) in the past. I tried the freezing water method and it workes great for the little guys (neons), as soon as they hit that water they just floated to the bottom almost like a feather, they were dead before they hit the bottom of the bowl. I had a little struggle from the bigger fish though, it was not much, but still not what I want to see.

When I euthanize a fish because it has a bent spine or is old and suffering, I just feed them to my Oscars. I see that as pretty humane, it's what would happen to the week fish in the wild, so I see no harm, it's literally instant, the fish hardly ever get to hit the water before they dissapear.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I would be nervous about trying the alcohol method. Some people have suggested vodka before and swear by it. Clove oil is a gentle way to go -- it's also a way to anesthetize fish for procedures, you simply OD them on it. (then cut their heads off if you wish to be thorough)

With my bigger fish (mainly goldfish), blunt force has been the quickest and most immediately effective method. I put them in a fish bag with their heads towards a bottom corner and (critical detail) "follow through" when I swing them. Death is pretty immediate aside from the wait while you're bagging them (just do it as fast as possible).

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Freezing isn't traumatic for cold blooded animals, as their metabolism just slows down. Kind of like a human just getting sleepier and sleepier and then stopping altogether.

Wouldn't call that inhumane.

As far as fish lasting a long time after flushing, that's amazing. I can't get fish to live in a nice and friendly aquarium sometimes, but you can get them to live a day in raw sewage?