For those who use or have used a reverse flow undergravel filter...

Dec 26, 2006
If you use or have used a reverse flow undergravel filter, I would be interested to know the following:

a) What size tank?
b) What other additional filtration was used, if any?
c) What type of cleaning/maintenance was required with frequency?
d) Would you have done something different knowing what you know now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dec 27, 2006
Grundy, VA
They arnt good if you want plants, now things like java moss....java fern...anubias and things that you can attach to rocks and things would work out oK if you dosed some general fertilizer from time to time. But I have used a RFUGF...they do well...much better than a standard flow UGF. Pretty much just rise the sponges from time to time and do a good vac of the entire gravel bed at minimum of once per month. I use one on my 100G and use 2*Penguin 330 powerfilters on it. I just like a mass quanitity of filtration and the location of my tank prevents alot of filters from being viable. I wasnt happy with the turnover the powerfilters gave me...but as previously said the tank is in an awkward location and large powers and canisters arnt an option. Works out well for me...altho I feel that when I revamp this system in the spring the RFUGF will be replaced by a pair of Fluval internals :)

Dec 26, 2006
Seleya said:
You definitely need some sort of mechanical filtration (HOB or canister filter). What size tank are you thinking of doing this with? What sorts of fish, plants and decor are also planned?
I am planning on setting up a 38 gallon tank. As far as filtration, I was thinking of using a reverse flow undergravel filter with a HOBs, maybe an emperor 400. It has been several years since I maintained a tank but I remember how dirty the substrate always got. Thought the reverse flow might help.

In terms of fish, I haven't really decided yet but I was thinking of maybe a couple of angels, a school of rummies, and some others I haven't decided on.

So far, I haven't really thought of what type of plants or decor.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Plants and decor really dictate whether a RUGF/UGF will be worth your while or not. In most cases, live plants won't tolerate it; most cichlids would render it useless; lots of rock work, groundcovering decor, etc would also affect its efficacy. While I strongly advise against UGFs, RUGFs can have their uses imo in specific capacities. It sounds like you have some good, well thought out plans. The more you have planned in advance with any tank, the better you can decide what you wish to use or abandon. :)