frag a zoo???

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
my zoos seem to do it all by them selves but i was wondering if there is anyway that i can make them spead faster??? cant you just cut a piece off and set it on the otherside of the tank???

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
I'm no expert but when I had a large colony..I just took a sharp knife and removed some at the base, then super glued them to a shell, it worked. Also I moved a colony and stuck it on a powerhead when I was cleaning..forgot about it, went on vaca and in a couple of weeks when I got back, took it off and it left behind 2 straglers, now there is a colony on my powerhead..

Attachments

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Nice pic fwswbw and you are right about fragging them... I do have one warning about zoo's though... now i'm not trying to scare anyone but you do have to be careful. Zoo's can have a toxin called a palytoxin which is one of the most lethal organic toxins out there...

Palytoxin

There was a guy who fragged some zoo's in a tub... his dog stuck his nose in the water and ended up dead about 6 hours later... i'm not a dog person but still that would suck...this was on RC.com a while back...
NOT ALL ZOO'S HAVE THIS Some have lots and some have little...
Just use latex gloves when you handle them after cutting, from what I understand it is in them and not released unless cut or damaged...

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
Dadstank...wow thanks for the info, I did not know that. Poor puppy dog, i will be more careful in the future. This toxin..it must not be poisonous to sea life??? There are a type of snail that eats zoos, I forget the name of them.. Wow on here two days and already found out a bunch of things that I had no idea about..this is a great site.

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
They are black and white kinda spiral shaped..very bad they will wipe out a colony in a matter of days, I found one on a new colony that I got threw the mail and picked his butt off. They will hide inside the colony in day time and come out at night. If you search your colony they will be tucked in there snug as a bug. I will do some research and see if I can find a picture of one.

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
Ok so I don't get into trouble..provided by Saltwater.com, bad hitchikers.
This snail is called Heliacus and is another one of the problematic "remove ASAP" snails one might find in their tank. Typically, sundial snails are found on colonies of zoanthids, button polyps and similar which they feed on. If you feel that your polyps are slowly dying off or just not spreading, you may wish to check closely for this snail which is a predator of these types of polyps. The snail is difficult to see because it sits snug towards the base of the polyps, where it basically punctures them and sucks out the insides. It is wise to check any new colonies for this pest and remove it. Thankfully the shell is pretty characteristic.