Fragging Zoas

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Well i saw a few questions lately pertaining to this so i thought i'd take some pics as i do it. Not great pictures because i was busy fragging haha, but you can at least follow along with some simple steps.

I used 2 different Zoas and mixed the pictures so it may not be the exact same frag all the way through, but same process.

First you need supplies and a space. Superglue gel, razor blades, a cutting surface, containers of water to hold and cure frags before and after fragging, rubber gloves and eye protection, and i like to have a toothbrush so i can clean the frags up some before going back in the tank. Notice the frag plugs in the water. They stay in my DIY Fuge until i need them so they are basically like live rock, i like to keep them wet.

Get the frag and determine which polyps you want to frag. In this case i want to frag the polyps growing around and under the frag plug.

They are still attached to the mat of the ones on top, so you must cut that as well. Cut as low as you can, don't cut the polyp itself. Here i am cutting inbetween 2 polyps.

Now you have your polyps cut off the mother colony

Now just put some super glue gel on the frag plug and then place the polyps in the glue. Press firmly enough so they set in the glue, but not so much you crush the polyp.

Then Bam, done! You have a nice little frag to start anew.

This is another beautiful frag i did today. 3 polyps of Mohawk Palys (1 large, 2 babies)

Thats how you frag Zoas and Palys! Its very easy and hard to mess up, a lot of people are afraid to try but its quite simple, i encourage everyone to try it. The most nerve racking part for me is cutting the polyps because they don't always cut like butter. Try it its fun! I need to stress the eye protection, these coral can squirt and their toxin is either very irritating or deadly (some don't even react to it, but better safe then sorry.). Gloves are a good idea too, but i don't use them. If you have open cuts, use gloves.

Any questions/comments? ;) I'll hopefully make a few more of these guides for different coral in the upcoming weeks.

Jun 8, 2008
profile.myspace.com
Cool! I was wondering how they frag corals. I am new to aquariums altogether and hope to start my own nano soon as for now, Im finishing up my 55 gal fw and starting to build a stand and sump/refugium for a 20 gal i just got for 5 dollors. Please post some more guides as I will definately be studying them. As the more info i can get the better!!!! Thanks