*FREE* Ammonia Tests...

edaskalos

Large Fish
Aug 4, 2004
Anchorage, AK
Visit site
I was wondering which tests (other than Seachem's) has a free and total ammonia test? I am using (and have been for a year now) the Seachem test, but after checking my last tests against the reference samples, I think I am getting some false reads. Has anyone else had this experience?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Thought you were advertising something from the title of your thread! Why dont you explain a little more in depth what you're looking for.

Test kits (the reagents) do go bad after awhile...although their shelf life is pretty long. Has your kit expired?

Are you testing salt or freshwater? I deleted the duplicate thread as usually it helps to keep the conversation contained in one thread...most people click the "new posts" link up top to see all of the new threads so most everyone will see the thread no matter which area it gets put in.

edaskalos

Large Fish
Aug 4, 2004
Anchorage, AK
Visit site
That pic is great. I have only seen the headshot though. Could you PM me the whole pic? ANYWAY...

I have the Seachem Marine test kit, but it is perfectly suitable for freshwater too. The test has a reagent for measuring total ammonia (harmless ammonium bond) as well a test for the lethal free ammonia. The test utlizes yellow discs placed in measured amounts of sample water and after 15-30 mins you measure the color of the discs versus a chart. Many people in the SW forums here and at (GASP!) reefcentral.com (great bunch of people, there are literally 5-10 times more people in those forums) said that The Seachem tests, although pricey are the most accurate and one of the only tests that does indeed test for free and total ammonia. As a side note, almost all other test kits unless specified only test for total ammonia.

Has anyone here used this test kit?