FrEeZiNg TeMpErAtUrEz!!!!

Aug 22, 2004
CaLiFoRnIa ;-D
Visit site
HELP!!!!!!!!!! our heater broke about a month ago..and our house iz so0o freezing that i can't believe how anyone can stand it..but does anybody have any suggestions for keeping my betta warm? he's so miserable and i think he might freeze to death if i don't do something so0n! :(

ThAnK YoU!

Assuming your Betta is in an aquarium as opposed to a bowl, why not just go down to Wal-Mart or something and pick up one of those li'l 50-Watt Heaters they sell? Should cost maybe $10 US at the most? They're good for up to a 20-gallon tank. I say if your Betta means that much to you, $10 ain't that much to "invest." If he's in a bowl... well, I dunno... 20 seconds in the microwave every hour? :)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
For small tanks, you can use a small 30 to 60w lamp to help it stay a little above room temperature. If you can, get a 25w submersible heater, it can heat anything from a 2.5 to a 5 gallon tank.

Cold weather plays havoc on a betta's (most tropicals) immune system. They tend to get fungus and that can kill them overnight. Anything below 72F is pushing the lower limit.

No mircrowaves. Blankets will help. Check your local bargain finder for a 5 to 10 gallon tank. Most sell used at $15.00 with heaters and lots of extras.

Aug 22, 2004
CaLiFoRnIa ;-D
Visit site
u guys are awesome! tomorrow morning i'm planning on going down to the local fish store and seeing what they have in stock thanks for your suggestionz! right now my poor lil betta is in a small container floating in my 10 gal tank defrosting (which luckily has a heater =oD) hopefully he'll make it thru the night *SLEEPING*

Aug 22, 2004
CaLiFoRnIa ;-D
Visit site
he's doing ok...i had him in the 10 gal last night and he waz in his lil' container warming up and after i had fed everyone and went to the grocery store this morning..he was out of his container with all the other fishies ...and i already have 1 betta in there but luckily nothing happened :eek: i have him now in a 5 gal tank that's all ready to go with a heater and it's pretty well cycled so0 hopefully he'll be ok poor thing is kinda traumatized from all the excitement :(

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Misty..... I just wanted to say how appreciative I am you listened to the advice given and took action. Its a RARE event, most posters just ignore good advice. Your betta is going to LOVE his new 5 gallon heated, good job!

Don't worry about cycling the 5gal tank with just 1 betta in there, it will not be a problem if you keep-up weekly water changes.

Glad to hear he is doing better. Again, good work :)