Fresh-water Fish-tank cycling with/without Fish + lots of plants. how to go through?

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
I got a followup question to a post by JRB__ http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...on-questions/59507-fish-cycle.html#post566979

This is a rough guide for the fish in cycle

Day 1
The newly-added fish have not yet produced any measurable amount of ammonia. All readings should be near zero.
*Note – If you’re setting up the tank ahead of adding fish, the Cycle will not begin until a source of ammonia is added. i.e. Your new fish.

Day 3
Ammonia levels will begin to rapidly rise to near-dangerous; break-in fish may show some signs of discomfort and stress such as rapid breathing, poor feeding and darting about. First stage bacteria are beginning to become established, but their numbers are low at this point.

Day 5
Ammonia levels reach their peak and begin to decline as first stage bacteria start to convert it into nitrite. Nitrite levels begin to rise. *Note - Weaker fish may succumb to ammonia poisoning; a partial water change will dilute ammonia and reduce stress for a brief period. No more than 20% (more than this is likely to prolong the cycle process)

Day 8
First stage bacteria are well established and are processing ammonia as fast as the fish are producing it. Ammonia levels return to zero and nitrites climb rapidly. Fish may perk up due to temporary reprieve from stressful conditions.

Day 14
Nitrite levels reach their peak. Fish may again show some signs of distress. Small water changes (up to 20%) can help protect break-in fish and reduce stress without significantly prolonging cycling time.

Day 27
Nitrite levels continue to be elevated (can last for several weeks) as the second stage bacteria begin turning nitrite into nitrate.

Day 29
Second stage bacteria multiply rapidly and begin to catch up with built up nitrite. Nitrite levels drop rapidly and nitrate level becomes detectable.

Day 30
Both first and second stage bacteria are now well established and can keep up with the ammonia output of the fish, turning it first into nitrite and then immediately into nitrate. Do a 50%+ water change and a thorough gravel vaccum. Tank is now "cycled" and ready for additional fish. Add no more than 2-3 at a time, also allowing time after each new addition for the bacterial colonies to cope with the increased bio-load.
Great post, Thanks for taking effort for putting this JRB__ but that made me think and I got lots of questions.

After reading this data, I want to ask, does this cycling-data apply to planted + fish - tank cycling as-well? I know for sure plants speed up the process or atleast do something more here, I got lots of wisteria +some amazonias and 2 goldies in 30 Gallon tank, going on day 23-24 of cycling and all seems v well till now .

Below is the info i got from test-kit have (strips).

=====================
Aquarium water quality and condition depends on different chemical and biological processes that happen as part of life-cycle of factors like Water-Changes, Amount of waste produced by fish, the size of filter, other chemicals/proteins dissolving in water in form of fish-food and health of fish & plants during a time-p

Last edited:

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I got a followup question to a post by JRB__ http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...on-questions/59507-fish-cycle.html#post566979

Great post, Thanks for taking effort for putting this JRB__ but that made me think and I got lots of questions.

After reading this data, I want to ask, does this cycling-data apply to planted + fish - tank cycling as-well? I know for sure plants speed up the process or atleast do something more here, I got lots of wisteria +some amazonias and 2 goldies in 30 Gallon tank, going on day 23-24 of cycling and all seems v well till now .

Below is the info i got from test-kit have (strips).

=====================
Aquarium water quality and condition depends on different chemical and biological processes that happen as part of life-cycle of factors like Water-Changes, Amount of waste produced by fish, the size of filter, other chemicals/proteins dissolving in water in form of fish-food and health of fish & plants during a time-p
I have to emphasize that it is only a rough guide to go by with a fish-in method, for example some peoples experience is the tank waits weeks if not months for nitrates to show up. Live Plants will help with cycling, maybe OrangeCones can tell you how much they help and what plants will help more ect
you said everthings going well until now? what has happened/changed?
I don't understand the test kit? there is no readings?

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
you said everthings going well until now? what has happened/changed?
I don't understand the test kit? there is no readings?
* K , i will wait for others to reply.

* The test kit i am talking is set of strips i got , tetra-5-in-1 kit, its shows everything except ammonia reading, so i am getting all other readings.

Like you said,after some week or two, i suddenly saw spike in nitrite levels ( i did small water change), it has now gone back to zero when i tested 2 days ago.

Now i think i should see no spike in nitrate-nitrite as this cycling is going on? and second stage bacteria bloom ? ( i am at day 23-24).

What i want to ask i , what is proper cycling process, how does it end. how do i say, okay, now my tank has cycled and i want to add some fish etc.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
What i want to ask i , what is proper cycling process, how does it end. how do i say, okay, now my tank has cycled and i want to add some fish etc.
When ammonia and nitrite are both at 0ppm and you get consistent readings of nitrates. Then your tank is 'cycled'.
Try and keep nitrate's under 20ppm and always under 40ppm. Do this with weekly water changes.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
When ammonia and nitrite are both at 0ppm and you get consistent readings of nitrates. Then your tank is 'cycled'.
Try and keep nitrate's under 20ppm and always under 40ppm. Do this with weekly water changes.
Booom!!! and we have winner :)

Thanks , thats what i was looking for i guess. *DRUMMER*