Freshwater Aqurium Salt

fishkid64

Large Fish
Jul 8, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi, i bought some freshwater aquarium salt for my tanks. I am not sure how to put it in, like do you just put it in and thats it or do you have to put it somewhere else like in the filter? Also do you have to like mix it in or something?
Another thing i have a 15 gal tank that is cycling, should i put it in now, while it is still cycling, or wait for it to finish cycling? Also, should i put aquarium salt in 20 gal. tank with what fish i currently have? Last what exactly does it do?

Sorry for all the questions but im really not sure.
Thanks a lot everyone!

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Aquarium salt is good to use for ich and other parasitic diseases. Also, some believe it is a good tonic to promote well-being in fish. Follow the directions on the back of the box and mix it in with a cup of your tank water, stirring until it dissolves, then slowly pour into your tank.

Personally, I only use salt for ich, but some people swear by its tonic capacities.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Be careful not to put too much in...and also dont forget that salt does not evaporate, so dont add anymore for awhile. Every time you take water out, you'll be taking out some of the salt...but unless you did a 100% water change you'd never get all the salt out.

I'm not sure if your otto will be ok with salt or not...might do some research on that.

Personally I haven't ever had to use salt (knock on wood), but I always have some around just in case.

Mindy

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2005
Austin, TX
I used salt to treat ich a couple weeks ago (which worked.) While in the process of getting rid of the ich, all of my fish died except my 2 balloon mollies. I began to notice that my balloon mollies would take "salt baths" in the glass dish that the salt was contained in.

Now that the ich is gone, I got 2 dalmation mollies. I did a little water change and put fresh salt in the tank. They all get in it and stir up the salt and bathe in it. They really really dig the salt. I'm leaving a little in there from now on.

I noticed that my goldfish in another tank like a little bit of salt as well.

Last edited: