Freshwater clams

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
we have a 55gal tank and when we get the high nitrate levels down, we are thinking of getting several freshwater clams. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

This is from memory only, so I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that fresh water clams reproduce parasitically. The young clam will float through the water and attach itself to the inner gills of a fish - eventually falling off. Sometimes the fish lives, and sometimes it doesn't.

Why are your NAs so high? Unless I'm missing something periodic water changes are usually the fix for that.

Jonathan

prgwin00

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
I just wanted the clams because I thought they would be a cool addition, not for the high Nitrate level.

It is high because I didn't know I needed to do weekly water changes, and therefore have never done it.:(

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I just wanted the clams because I thought they would be a cool addition, not for the high Nitrate level.

It is high because I didn't know I needed to do weekly water changes, and therefore have never done it.:(
Eeek!

20 - 30% a week.

You probably wanna do like 10% every day until you get your nitrates down under 20ppm though. You don't want to bring it down TOO drastically or fast (that can shock your fish too) but you want to get it under control as soon as possible too.

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
i had a bunch of freshwater clams in my 29 gallon for a year or so, and they did ok, beside puffer attackking them occasionally. also, they didnt reproduce at all for some reason, but they had trouble burrowing in my substrate, i guess because it wasnt sand like they're used to. BUT they all died over time, i think because my house got very cold during the winter (my tank was heated of course) but the water did get a little colder than normal. anyway, i didnt lose any fish during the time i had them, but its still a possibility

Cama Lama

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2008
wow 20 - 30% a week....

I need to get to changing....

I just bout a few fish and some plants, will the water change effect them at all or should i wait a couple days.

footnote: water levels are good according to petsmart as of yesterday.

Tank is 2 weeks old

1 dragon goby
4 tiger barbs
1 ropefish
1 albino claw frog
1 regular claw frog
1 blue lobster
2 bala sharks
3 albino barbs
1 spotted eel
1 needle fish
1 raphael cat
1 asian hybrid cat
3 clown loaches

several plants of different species
55 g total

If your tank is two weeks old then you need to read up on cycling a fish tank.
You need to buy a water test kit with Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate tests (liquid test, not strips).
Buy a good siphon too.

Since your tank is already stocked you're going to have to do partial water changes probably every day or two.
Check out Miss Fishie's article on Cycling.
Cycling a Tank
Google it too. There's lots of info about cycling, but Miss Fishie has the best picture. lol

Seriously. You need to build your bacteria colonies in your filter so that the toxins in the water can get neutralized.

Also see if you can get some bacteria starter, or used media/gravel from someone else. That will help your cycle go much faster.

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
i always thought that the good bacteria lived in the substrate to. this also brings to mind another question.

whats the proper way to put in a new (bagged)filter in a HOB filter? i dont wanna take out my old one and have the good stuff in die before it grows in the new one.